Dr.G.
Dr.G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

What does it mean what a man is always copying what you do

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: what does it mean what a man is always copying what you do or say
JA: The Psychologist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: i will say a phrase or word and he starts using it and he notices when i do stuff maybe i stand out but i wonder if he likes me or if i just stand out because I stand out... if that makes sense
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: maybe he admires me? i don't know..haha but i like him so i wonder if he likes me. the only thing is he is my superior so the only way we could date is if he moves out of the department/position or I do
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 8 months ago.

Hi there I will be happy to help you. Can you tell me a little more bout the type of relationship you two have. How long have you known each other. Can you give some examples of what he says or does that copies you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he is my team leader. I've known him for 7 months now and he had a girlfriend but they broke up
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
examples of him copying me is just phrases that I say or if I do a certain movement he will do it too, if i touch my nose, or if I say a phrase he will say it in the conversation
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 8 months ago.

OK I have enough information. He is flirting with you. Any other behaviors you are picking up on that are flirtatious?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he will let the eye contact turn into a gaze, or if i walk by he will smile, or he his eye brows go up suddenly, but sometimes he gets nervous and look down. and one of the days he said that he liked being around me
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 8 months ago.

Well there you have it. It could be playful flirtation and nothing on an intimate level. It sounds like you can't pursue anything further until he leaves the department. How do you propose to respond to this type of flirtation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no not intimate because we are colleagues so that's not appropriate. yes you are correct it's not possible unless he moves.
I'm pretty confident so i keep boundaries and ensure i sit somewhere not in his direct contact so i can focus on work. if it's meant to be i always know it will work out...
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what do you consider when you said nothing on an intimate level?
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 8 months ago.

I was just saying that a guy can flirt because the two of you have the same humor and get along well, without it having to lead to sex. I think you are approaching this situation very well and professional. Who knows, this could grow into something bigger.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i do agree with that and i prefer that because i'm not having sex until marriage so it would not be ideal if he just wanted sex or flirting to get laid. thank you. yes, i hope so. thank you for your perspective
Expert:  Dr.G. replied 8 months ago.

THank you and take care.