Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Counselor
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice

I have been talking to this single mom for 8 years, and have

Customer Question

I have been talking to this single mom for 8 years, and have always kept in touch to the point that we have become best friends. I have always really liked her a lot. I have recently told her everything about how I feel about her that she is my best friend, and the one I want to be with. She tells me that she just can't jump into a relationship, but is willing to spend time with each other and see where things go. She has recently told me that her son has told her that I am the only man that he approves of that she is allowed to date. What are your thoughts on this, and how shall I proceed. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 1 month ago.

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

Ahhh, sweet sounds like what you have could be the love of your life. I can't think of a better foundation for beginning a relationship. The fact the two of you are best friends and have eight years of friendship under your belts...this is truly amazing!

Based upon the information you provided, I gather she is scared. She is so afraid of loosing what the two of you have and probably can't imagine how difficult that would be. My advice is to proceed slowly....and then some....think 1950's dating style. Go on a few old-fashioned dates....picnic in the park, quiet dinner out, brunch on a Sunday afternoon, movie on a Friday get the picture. Keep the physical part of the relationship moving at snails pace. Continue being her best friend....doing all the things you have done in the past but simply add the very casual dating piece. She is willing and open...which tells me she has feelings for you as well but it needs to move slowly.

I love that her son approves of you. This truly is amazing and makes things significantly easier--I say this as a single mom myself. You are someone he feels comfortable with and someone who has a presence in his life already...this is wonderful!

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Good afternoon, I hope you are well. Just wanted to check in as I have not received a rating from you as of yet To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie