TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

I had been friends with a guy for 22 years. In those years

Customer Question

I had been friends with a guy for 22 years. In those years we have been intimate a few times. In October last year he got sick. I was devastated. I sent him a text saying that I had loved him the whole 22 years which I did. We started dating in February and then in March he was hospitalized for two weeks I spent every day there I hadn't realized how it effected him so. A week later I had to have minor surgery and from there we tried to see each other. He lives an hour drive away & it was hard for us to see each other because I have a fear of driving. I had begun taking defensive driving classes but and made plans to give him a kidney but before I could tell him all that I was doing he broke up with me in June. I have tried to talk to hima few but won't answer my text. I think a lot of it has to do with his illness because he has always been so strong. I miss him & I love him and I don't know how to move forward I have tried but a since June I can't think of anything else but him. I miss him. Im worried bout him. I don't know what to do.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  askcounselor replied 3 months ago.

Write to him and summarize all the good things that your 22 years has brought to you both. Make him remember all the good times that you have had together. Enclose pictures if you can. Take him down a stroll of memory lane that he cannot deny were the best years of his life!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've tried that. Although he thought it was funny. Still nothing. His illness had hardened him. We have spoken a few times over the last few months but nothing has changed. Friends say I should move on but I can't. I find myself crying because I miss my friend my love. Over the years I had come to depend on him as a sounding board for my career and my life. He has always given me great advice now after 22years we can't speak like we once did. It's hurtful.