TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker
64783947

Alright disclaimer I've never used a service like this

Customer Question

Alright disclaimer I've never used a service like this before, so I'm just going to jump right in. I've been with my girlfriend for 2 and half years. we have been living with one another for almost a year. We have always gotten along really well, we've had a few fights before but nothing really serious. About 2 weeks ago we went to a music festival everything started out great then we started drinking. Just as we're leaving we got into a huge fight about my dogs and how she doesn't like them. This escalated to the point that we "broke up" So I went up ahead with a group of our friends, she stayed with another. Our group had split because the other group was busy looking after one of our really drunk friends. We end up meeting back up to our local bus stop and catch the bus home. We both don't talk to one another. When we get home my friend texts me saying she made out with my really drunk friend in front of everyone in our group of friends. Now she has pleaded for forgiveNess. When I first heard about it I was infuriated. I thought it over and actually don't hold that against her. The issue I'm having is that I'm just embarrassed to call her my girlfriend. Almost all our friends know it happened, half of them saw it. Most of them hate her for what she did. I think the worst thing is that we hangout with the other friend often. (Friends are also made at him) I don't want things to end but everytime since this where her and i gone to a public event with friends I just makes me sick being around her. Do you think I can every get over this? Or is therected no hope and just call it. Sorry it was so long I felt I really had to explain it for you to get the right picture. Any advice is appreciated, thanks -K
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the disclaimer, but you did just fine!

Sorry to hear about this tough time...sure I think you can get over it if you choose to. Your friends don't get an opinion in your relationship or your choices. Yes, they saw stuff but clearly everyone was acting a bit out of control and if not that night at some other point everyone has made some bad choices that were regrettable. So, I think you are still thinking of it because of feeling embarrassed, but let's try and put that aside. you can always put it all to rest by saying to your friends....I am with her and I don't want opinions or anything else. They will respect that. If you decide to work on things then I think you both need to sit and talk about all feelings so things don't blow up like this in the future.

Let me know your thoughts. If you are all good for now, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my support so that I may receive credit for my time...I do not without a positive rating. Thanks for understanding that. I am here if you need.

Jen