Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in relationship/family counseling
65143460

My husband had pain in one foot, i insisted on taking m to

Customer Question

my husband had pain in one foot, i insisted on taking him to the doc, he said no next day said it was better. it was never mentioned again but a few days later we were having a party and he was acting a little unhappy. I asked "are you ok?" (he is given to bad moods so I assumed he was just sulking) and he said yes all is ok. now he is angry at me because I didnt ask if he was feeling well. he feels I should have asked because of his foot pain the week before which he had told me was better. Am I wrong for not asking specifically if he was feeling well? I need you to help me settle this, we have agreed to let it go after an answer.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Alicia. Thanks for your question, I'm happy to help you today. In my opinion, I don't think you were wrong to not specifically ask if he was feeling well, because he gave you the indication previously (the day after he had pain in his foot) when you asked that he was feeling better. "Are you OK?" is the normal question that most people would probably ask if they were in your shoes, because that also leaves the door open to other possibilities, besides the foot pain. And indeed, asking if someone is OK also (again, in my opinion) includes questions such as "Are you feeling well?" So I don't feel that you were in the wrong here to not specifically ask.

And as a side note, because you say that he does at times have a tendency to have bad moods, it's normal that you would have assumed he was sulking and that you might have assumed that his behavior had something to do with that and not with the foot pain. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Best wishes.