TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

My wife lets her 50 yr.old son put stuff in our basement,garage,

Customer Question

My wife lets her 50 yr.old son put stuff in our basement,garage, and yard, and I can't stop her without a big argument. He's been hoarding for years with other complaints from his neighbors.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr-A-Green replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this. Hoarding is a serious mental disorder with no quick/easy fix. So it often spills over onto family, the neighbors, and the community. Have you attempted sitting your wife down and talking frankly about helping her son with his issues? I know that you just want to stop him from storing things in your space, but it sounds like your wife is trying to 'help' him by doing this. Perhaps if an alternate method of helping were suggested, she might be able to let go of this behavior?