TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

I have bipolar disorder. I have been seeing therapists

Customer Question

I have bipolar disorder. I have been seeing therapists for many years, about 30 years. Some times in the course of years, I am feeling good and people like to be around me, and at other times (maybe lasting for a week or so), I feel really bad and don't want to talk to anyone. Usually this leads to changing my medications, and then the cycle repeats. I was attending a therapist who tried to persuade me that my issues required that I participate in the "12 Step Program". That's because when I got ill many years ago, (which was in the year 1981), I had the misfortune of being harassed by some people who had problems in that area. But, instead of making me feel better, the idea of the "12 Step Program" made me get a lot sicker in my head, making me really irritable and not want to talk or deal with other people. It's a very difficult thing to be able to sue a therapist for this issue, because the "12 Step Program" has a lot of medical prestige. How can I vent my frustrations about an issue which in reality is the choice of the medications, and nothing to do with the ideas of the "12 Step Program"?
Category: Relationship
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for informing me that the price I requested is too low. In the case of this particular question, I need to wait until Wednesday when I deposit my paycheck to be able to pay a decent price for the answer to the question. I can raise it to whatever you think is reasonable, provided that it is not too high.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would like to know if you will take $30 as payment for this question. If not, tell me what you will take. I can't pay it until Wednesday, because the money spent already overdrew my account by $10.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please tell me what is the method by which you compute the fair amount owed for the question, (provided it's a short explanation).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If $30 is not enough, I may need to ask you to refund what I have already spent and go somewhere else with my issue.This is not a "dire" emergency. It's less than that.
Expert:  DrJackiePhD replied 9 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jackie, an interpersonal communication researcher/professor and relationship expert. And I want to help you. Just first to address the money thing, after we are able to chat on here and you are satisfied with my answer and "accept" my answer, you can always pay the difference via a bonus on Wednesday. Hopefully that will help ease your mind until payday.

If that is OK with you, then can you let me know so that I can go on to give you some recommendations? It's about 5:30 East Coast Time. I am available for another half an hour and then again after 9 this evening to respond.

Thank you,

--Dr. Jackie

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I accept the fee. I'm glad that you can respond to the question. Hope you are having a nice day, yourself.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm at work now, and I have to be concentrating on what I'm doing. I will respond to your answer by the end of today.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now, I am at home. Let me add some facts to this. I want to have a girlfriend, but right now, I have no girlfriend. I live alone in my parent's house. My parents like to interfere in the way that I conceive of what constitutes a normal relationship by interjecting their beliefs about what worked in their lives when they were young. This puts me at odds with reality, because every generation of people has different norms.I just got in trouble right now with my dad, who is my boss, because I was not paying attention to my work details.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A real good example of the issues in this dispute is the question of who should pay for the meals when we go out on a date. I currently can't afford to go on the type of date that I would like to go out on, because I am in a lot of debt on my credit cards.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have the $30. Please send me a link where I can pay it, and finish this question.