CounselorJules
CounselorJules, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
92608932

My Dr seems to be very interested in me...then he pulls back

Customer Question

My Dr seems to be very interested in me...then he pulls back & then flirts again.
Is he confused because I am a patient. ..or is he a playet?....He always tells me he doesn't have a relationship that is special
Category: Relationship
Expert:  CounselorJules replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Maybe I can help. I would be cautious in assuming that a medical professional may be expressing a romantic interest in you. I encourage you to keep a healthy boundary. It is easy to confuse his posture or bedside as flirting-- especially if you are hopeful that it may be more.

Medical professionals have specific boundaries that prohibit romantic relationships. Maybe part of his success has been that he is able to join with patients and attend to them. I would accept his medical advice, but keep the boundaries of patient and Doctor. I apologize if that is the news that you don't want to hear, but ethically, it is the most truthful answer I can give.

You are welcome to provide more information if that is helpful.