TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker
64783947

I've been in a relationship years. This is the only guy

Customer Question

I've been in a relationship for seven years. This is the only guy I've ever dated. He was my first kiss, first date, first time, everything. I love him and I don't want to leave him but I would like to experience certain things again. I'd like to feel first date jitters and the thrill of a first kiss. I know it would hurt him if I said I want to go on a date with another guy, and idk if he would understand. I don't want to get engaged or married secretly regretting that I didn't get to experience those things again. What should I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 10 months ago.

Hi Tiffany. I can certainly understand those desires in you....you haven't experienced other things with others so it would be natural to want to explore it all. I think you are correct, that while he may understand those feelings, I don't think he will desire for you to go out and seek it all out. So, in the end it comes down to are you desirous enough to seek out these new experiences at what could be the cost of this relationship. If you don't feel that this is the man for you long-term, then it seems like your mind is already made up in the direction of seeking out new and exciting experiences.

Let me know your thoughts.