TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker
64783947

I just talked to my ex today. I was worried then we agreed

Customer Question

I just talked to my ex today. I was worried for awhile then we agreed to be friends. He said that he had no intention of everything talking to me again, but felt that I deserve an explanation of our break up which was both our faults. He said that he thought it be a bad idea for us to keep talking because I'd get false hopes. I told him that I wouldn't because I had a busy life and that I was glad we were talking again he said that he was glad that we were too. He said that he was scarred from his pass, that he wanted to be alone, and mentioned some things which I calmly mentioned that I did wrong, but I told him that calmly what got to me. We agreed to a promise not to do those things. Towards the end we were laughing and he was sending me smiley faces I told him that I always liked his smiley faces and he sent a couple of more. I asked could I call him the nickname that I gave him because I liked the one that he gave me, but he didn't think that was a good idea. We started laughing again and we said Good Night. I text him after to.say that maybe I was going overboard, but I enjoyed talking to him and I told him to be prepared for a war that we had going on and I made a joke about my driving since I told him that I had to pick someone up and he lives out of state. I'm now going to pull away and give him his space since he said that I was pushy in the beginning. Is this a good idea?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 11 months ago.

I think it all sounds great. Backing off to give the space that he requested is the way to go. Not to play a game, but rather to honor what he needs at this time. If he reaches out and it feels right for you, you can certainly text back or call back. Keep away from the heavy stuff and just be light and have fun. Time will tell how this will all play out and as you said, you have a busy life. Keep all of that up and doing all of the things you love.