TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

My girlfriend and me have been dating year and a half. We

Customer Question

My girlfriend and me have been dating for a year and a half. We are both divorced and each of us have children. We are far enough along in our dating to have started discussing marriage. An issue I am having is that I have learned that when I can't go with her to her family functions she asks a single male friend to go with her. She previously dated this man but swears they knew from the first date that they would just be friends. And also she doesn't tell me that she invites him. I found out through a friend. Do I have a legitimate gripe with her or am I being prude?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I think you do have a legitimate issue with your girlfriend not telling you that she is inviting this other male friend to these family functions because if the situation were reversed she would want to know if you invited anyone to a family function in her place. Most likely though you can trust her as this is just a friend, unless your girlfriend has given you any reason to not trust her in the past. Going to these family functions with a friend is perfectly permissible, but she should not keep that hidden from you and she should discuss it with you for the sake of transparency.