TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker
64783947

I am not working at the moment and out of work years due to

Customer Question

i am not working at the moment and out of work for two years due to illness and went through difficult times and depression. my wife and i have $100,000 in savings. i wanted to use half of this money to start my own business as i am a professional and have 20 years experience in my field. I fell if i did't start working i will really suffer severely. actually it started to show and my wife noticed it. However, she said if you want to touch the money she herself will be the one who suffers severly. she siad that we should separate and then i can start my own business as she can't tolerate the stress. she is still working and everything and she isn't asking me to work. she said she is taking care of me and the two children that we have and that i don't have to worry. We are 49 years old now and i can't sit around like that.
what's your expert advice,
thanks
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.

I think that using all of your life savings to start a business can be very risky...I understand your desire and confidence to do so and I don't want to take that from you, but the whole family needs to be thought of....it can take a good 5 years to see any profit and that can put a tremendous strain on the finances for the whole family. I would continue to discuss it with your wife and ifgure out what will work best for all of you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am only asking for $50,000. It is half the cash. besides we have our own property paid completely.
she is insisting on separation if i decided to go this way.
what is your view in the light of the new information?

I think using some is reasonable but still carries the risk...I am all for entrepreneurship but at the same time, not putting others at risk if it is not clear that you can recoup what you put in and make a living for yourself and your family. Her desiring to separate is based on her wanting to be removed from the stress. She has cared for you and worked while you have been ill and she is feeling the pressure. I hear how serious she is, so I would consider that deeply before you plow ahead.

Please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support. Thanks very much in advance. I wish you great health and success in whatever path is chosen.