TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

I am so annoyed with my mother-in-law. She recently had open

Customer Question

I am so annoyed with my mother-in-law. She recently had open heart surgery and all her children rushed home. My husband and I are the only ones who live near my in-laws. They have both had health issues this entire year and my husband used every bit of his vacation running them to appointments. MIL is passive aggressive: "I'd like some watermelon. IF you go out. You don't need to make a special trip" and so on. Over the years I have given her gifts that she didn't want - and told me so (ever so "sweetly") I am totally FRUSTRATED with my husband putting her before me. I know she needs help, but he could have taken a couple of days off when the other kids were here. He buys her a lot of things - unnecessary things and tells me about them later. She has done some nice things for me, but this year it was like I finally caught onto her game and it makes me crazy. "Oh, that's the way she is" is what I hear all the time. They may have grown up with that, but I did not. My mom was smart and saavy and knew what to say and when. This woman just says things and people pick them up and run with them. My husband is a recovering alcoholic. When told he was finally going into rehab, she said, "Oh, I didn't know it was that bad". Really? He passed out at the restaurant table on Father's Day! Unless it's about her, concerns her, interests her, she just tunes out. I RARELY get an entire story about my family in a conversation. She runs it over and interrupts with a story of what? Her, of course. It is making me so anti-everything. Last night I told my husband, "I am your wife! I AM YOUR WIFE!" She is stressing me out and is now coming home from her surgery. Oh joy - let the running begin. Yuck
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

I am sorry that you have this issue with your mother in law, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. May I ask, what is your specific question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation with your mother in law?