Richard Lewis
Richard Lewis,
Experience:  Admin/HR at U.S. Navy
90184037

My wife and I have been married years, recently i had an

Customer Question

My wife and I have been married for 13 years, recently i had an emotional affair with an employee. It broke my wife heart when she found out about it. She has now become a person that i don't even know. she told me she wants a divorce and she no longer loves me. we still live together but i have moved down stairs. i have been trying to better myself and have been reading 2 different marriage books, they both say the same thing about changing my life and perception of marriage. i have been amazed at what i have learned, and i have been working towards reestablishing a relationship. however she has become cruel and has shut me out of her life completely, she doesn't even make eye contact with me. when i try to talk to her, she looks annoyed and she rarely responds to my text. we were very close prior to my cheating. why is acting like this towards me?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Richard Lewis replied 1 year ago.

Since you have tried everything you can do to get her attention and show her that you have changed yourself I think that you should tell her you need to have a talk one on one or even with a professional mediator and put everything on the table. Tell her how much you love her and acknowledge what you did wrong and explain to her how you have learned from your mistake, explain to her the help you have seemed with your books and explain to her the steps you have made to better yourself and your relationship. Ask her if she is willing to start over like this never happened and go into it with an open mind. Have her explain to you why she is doing what she is and understand how she feels. If she is completely unwilling to discuss any of the above with you, it may be time to decide if it would be best to separate.