Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
13551071

I have been in a relationship with my partner, ten years. We

Customer Question

I have been in a relationship with my partner, for almost ten years. We talk about getting married but, we both seem to be dragging our feet. I love him, but, I wonder if we are still together out of convenience and old habit but, then I think, what is a good relationship anyway. Two people committed to one another and we do have that.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.

Long term relationships take work to keep things active, fun, and loving. It is easy to take the one that has been by our side forgranted and think the grass is greener on the other side. A good relationship has love ,respect0, commitment, trust, and communication. The couple does not need to agree on everything, but needs to know how to discuss constructively in order to strengthen the relationship. Couples should also make time to have fun and laugh with one another as well as spend time. The thing about long term relationships is things can get routine. This does not make it bad because this can happen with any relationship. Actually, most may not even get to that point because they separate before for other reasons. So after the honeymoon phase this can happen regardless. This is why it is best to work on things with your partner in regards ***** ***** you feel is missing. The problem may not be your relationship, but rather day to day life. When some happy couples look elsewhere for excitement they may have it at first, but then see they end up with worse issues or same amount just different. It is so much more special to do life with a partner you have grown roots with and can overcome any obstacles that may come. Life is not easy so having a committed person on your side is special. You may need to analyze your situation in order to determine if your relationship is truly out of convenience or if it is due to true love and willingness.

I wish you the very best and please let me know if I can be of further help.

Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.