Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  I have a doctoral degree in psychology and have a history of providing couple's and family therapy.
74815544

Dr a only please. I have health anxiety and am taking

Customer Question

dr a only please. I have health anxiety and am taking cipralex 20 mg and my psychiatrist also gave me Ativan 0.5 mg bid. Is this ok to take everyday at this dose. My family dr would o my give it for a week but my psychiatrist insists it is safe for everyday at this dose and I shouldn't worry but I sometimes get scared by reading all the scary things that bentos can do. Is it safe for everyday use at this dose. Why does my psych think it's ok but my family dr does not?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area.

Hello and thank you for your question. The Cipralex is definitely safe to take every day as there have been numerous studies on its long-term use showing no adverse effects when taken for years or even decades. The Ativan is probably the most controversial because as of right now your psychiatrist is correct that there is no harm in taking 1mg/day of the Ativan, but the problem is that you will get addicted to the medication as it is a physically addictive substance. This usually causes an individual to increase the dose steadily as you become more tolerant on the dose as time passes on, which just further enables the addiction and this just causes more problems. In addition, studies have shown that in the elderly (ages 60 or higher) the use of a benzodiazepine can increase the risk of dementia, cognitive decline, and depression; now while you are safe right now, some of these studies theorized that long-term use earlier in the life-span could increase the risk of dementia as well although this is only a theory and not a fact as of yet. So your psychiatrist is correct that as of right now it is safe to take the Ativan everyday, but your family doctor is more concerned about what taking the Ativan everyday could spell out for you in the long-term, so I would say that your psychiatrist is looking at the short-term goals, while your family doctor is looking more in the long-run.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*****YOU ARE ALMOST FINISHED…EXPERTS ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR EACH POSITIVE RATING, SO I WOULD APPRECIATE IF YOU COULD GENTLY MASH ONE OF THE 3, 4, 5 SMILEY FACES/STARS THAT YOU SEE BEFORE YOU GO. THANK YOU SO MUCH AND IT WAS MY PLEASURE HELPING YOU WITH YOUR ISSUE*****