Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
13551071

We have been having problems in our marriage a year. I

Customer Question

We have been having problems in our marriage for over a year. I planned a date night, dinner and broadway show, I asked my husband before making the plans if it sounded good. He said yes. Dinner was fine and then at the show he was asleep in the 5th row by 8:00pm the show started at 7:30. It was a comedy, Book of Morman. I was disappointed, he said nothing, no excuse, apology, nothing. Am i right to be hurt?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I understand why you feel hurt and you have a right to feel and be in touch with any type of feeling you may have. What is best from here is to acknowledge your feeling and decide how you would like to proceed with it. For example if he is very tired from work and tried his best to stay awake then you may want to be understanding of this, but still discuss your feelings with him and work together to find a solution in order to prevent this from happening again. This may not be anything personal to you and he may even be upset that he missed the show, but may have not been able to control himself. On the other hand if you feel it was due to him not caring then I would still let him know how you feel, so that both of you can work together and understand each other. All in all your feelings are real and you have a right to them, but what is important is to decide how to go from here. Rather than staying hurt try to work through it for your own emotional health. At the end we are in control of our feelings and we can choose to stay hurt or work things out. And when our partner is unwilling to discuss or work through something then descisions would need to be made personally to keep one self happy and healthy within. I wish you the very best and please let me know if I can be of further help.