Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in relationship/family counseling
65143460

I have a dilimma my husbands want to go alaska on a cruise

Customer Question

I have a dilimma my husbands want to go alaska on a cruise and I want the carribean. Hes been on a cruise and I hVe not. And I am si k so I am on limited time. But its for both of our birthdays. What should I do
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Alicia. Thanks for your question, I'm happy to help you today.
I know it seems like it can be hard to compromise but I think your husband might come around and agree with your idea if you can present it to him in the right light -- try to focus on the positives. I think that you should make a list of the reasons you have for wanting to go to the Caribbean, including the ones you've said here -- you haven't been on a cruise before and he has, you're sick and quite possibly have limited time, maybe point out the fact that a warmer climate might be better for you since you are ill, etc -- also maybe include some of the things you want to see and the things you'd like to enjoy on the cruise. The most important thing is that you get to spend time together doing something meaningful, fun and enjoyable to celebrate your birthdays -- let him know how important it is for you to be able to spend this time with him. If you can present it to him in the light of how important it is for you to create these memories in a place you really want to see with him while you can still enjoy the time you have, then I think that's the best way for you to go about handling the situation. Please let me know if you have additional questions.