TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

Suzanne One of the biggest conflicts my husband and I have had 21 years of our

Customer Question

Hi Suzanne
One of the biggest conflicts my husband and I have had for all 21 years of our marriage is that I am outspoken. It is definitely part of my personality and part of why I am a successful sales rep. However, he hates it to the point that others have noticed the dirty looks he gives me in public when I say something he thinks I shouldn't have said.
He is an extremely private person but it's no just that. It just boils down to me being outspoken. I have tried to work on this, and I have definitely gotten better, but not good enough. I honestly feel like I can not change this aspect of who I am and that it's unreasonable to ask me to do so.
Thoughts?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, Suzanne is actually not an active expert on this website anymore, so I will be assisting you today. I am very sorry that you are having this issue with your husband, I can understand how distressing this must be for you. I am assuming that you were outspoken when you first met your husband, so he has always known you to be outspoken, would this be correct? Even though you state you have effort to lessen your outspokenness, has your husband worked on being more accepting of you? And lastly has couples therapy ever been suggested as a way to overcome this issue?