TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

My girlfriend and I love eachother dearly . Our affection friendship

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I love eachother dearly . Our affection friendship sex is like no other relationship either one of us have experienced . The one thing is when the smallest thing I can blow off as an arguement with any other person escalates to no end with her . I've done some research and she has alot of NPD traits. She is 24 I'm 28 . She is never wrong or says she's sorry for saying something hurtful. We went to a therapist for the first time the other day and she spoke the entire time . Any time I tried to get a word in she's over speak me or tell me that's not true . It's very difficult because I love and care about her so much . But she speaks bad about my family , she really goes to the extreme and I know if she didn't we would be so happy and that's why I keep hanging on. The longer I hang on the more she's convincing me of being a nything I've suggested her to be . I feel like I'm in a childish arguement all the time battling someone who victimized her self all the time .she constantly does and says things to try and make me jelous . What can I do to fix this ?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I am very sorry that your girlfriend may have these traits of NPD based on her behavior. I would like to ask you a couple questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. Why do you believe you are supposed to fix this, since the behavioral issues lie with her?
2. Because NPD is a deeply ingrained behavior, is your partner wiling to continue with therapy for at least several months to help her lessen the behavior, if it is possible?
3. Are you wiling to accept the possibility that there may be nothing you can do for your girlfriend, since only she can choose to change or seek treatment for this issue?