Jen Helant
Jen Helant, Counselor
Experience:  I have a degree in psychology and worked with many couples. I am happily married and have been for 10 years.
13551071

I am an 18 yr old female. I need advice. So recently ive

Customer Question

Hi. I am an 18 yr old female. I need advice. So recently ive been noticing that since i was younger ive always been attracted to older men like maximum 40s. I have never been in a real serious relationship before nor done anything with anyone, but i wanted
to know. Is it werid im attracted to older guys? Idk how to explain it. I just feel like im always getting attracted to guys way older then me and idk why. Ive always tried to think about why i do but it doesnt make sense and i could never talk about it with
anyone because im afraid of what they will think so in my head i just say it to myself about how attracted i am to some of these men. Is there something wrong with me?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question and I would like to help. I have a few questions for you to help me understand better.
How is your relationship with your father?
Are you physically attracted to these men or emotionally attractive to them?
Would you consider yourself mature for your age?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used to be very close with my father but my parents are divorced and we do not speak to eachother anymore
I find myself both physically and emotionally to them and i would consider myself very mature for my age
Expert:  Jen Helant replied 1 year ago.
I do not think anything is wrong with you. From what I see the reason can be one of two or a little of both.
You may be in search of a father figure subconsciously and this being the reason you are attracted to these men.
It may also be that since you are mature for your age you truly are attracted to these men because they are more mature than average men your age or close to your age. They are normally more stable and have life experience. This may be your preference since you are mature for your age. However, this does not mean you can not find a younger man whom is mature as you as well. I would think about what you truly want because even though age is not so important as the way one treats you there are also issues that come with that, such as them aging ahead of you if they are much older. I would be true to yourself weighing out the pros and cons, but do not think there is anything wrong with you due to this because there is not.
I wish you the very best and please let me know if I can be of further help.