TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

My husband and I live together in a community mobile

Customer Question

Hello. My husband and I live together in a community mobile home. For the most part, we are getting along. There is no deep conversation. The communication usually exists for concerns for our daughter, grocery buying, money in bank, or lack of it, maybe an occasional comment about a tv show, food, music etc. I act on the outside like everything is ok. He is the one that wanted this separation. In the past few years, we have gone and still are going through a repayment of a bankruptcy, our last house was short saled due to not paying mortgage, our daughter goes to a special needs school. Money is the main reason I stay. He is the breadwinner. I have trouble keeping work, even though I have 2 part time jobs to try to make ends, its unnerving. We havent communicated in quite a while about our relationship. I do not know where we are heading. Its just status quo. Where can I take this relationship or roommate status so I can be happy and so can he??/
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum. '
Hello, I am sorry that you are having this issue with your husband, I can understand how frustrating this can possibly be for you. I would like to ask you a few questions to get a better idea of your situation, so that I can better assist you.
1. You asked what you can do to help make your life and your husband's life more pleasurable. I understand that you are not happy based on your description, but since you do not really communicate with your husband how do you know he is not happy?
2. What is preventing you from talking about the future of this relationship and expressing to him how the distance you two have has been causing you emotional pain and frustration?
3. Have you discussed going out on dates or family outings?
4. Has marriage therapy been considered? There are free or low cost marriage therapy sessions provided at community health care clinics and also as free/low cost clinics as well.