Eveningstargazer
Eveningstargazer, Counselor
Experience:  Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
25605833

My husband is leaving me younger woman. They have been

Customer Question

My husband is leaving me for a younger woman. They have been together for 1 year now. She went to my wedding and has been in my house and all this time I didn't know. So sorry my name is***** so heat broken
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Eveningstargazer replied 1 year ago.
Hello Melissa and good afternoon. I will do my best to assist you with this today.
I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. It can be extremely gut wrenching to find out that your partner has been deceiving you.
There are three steps to take from here:
1. Stay Calm. Often, when emotions are running high, the fight or flight response kicks in and you might want to fight tooth and nail to win your relationship back. However, you can communicate much more clearly if you can remain level headed. Speak your mind about what your own expectations of the relationship were, and where you thought the two of you were headed.
2. Recognize that it is not your fault. Even though you may be feeling self-conscious because he chose someone younger, this has little to nothing to do with you. Don't get caught in the trap of self-blame.
3. Explore where you as an individual would like to go from here. You deserve a healthy and trusting relationship. Since he can no longer give this to you, seek out friends and family who can support you in refocusing on yourself and creating your own happiness.
It is my hope that I have giving you some guidance and answered your question. If you need clarification on anything above, please feel free to ask additional questions in the box below.
Thank you