TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

Jen. I was hoping to get advice about a previous/current

Customer Question

Hi Jen. I was hoping to get advice about a previous/current relationship with my boyfriend of 3 years. We never fought (except for maybe a spat every once in a while), and love each other very much. He recently expressed concerns to me about not being sure if he is willing to promise me that we'll be together in the long run. We are 23 and I wasn't expecting to get married anytime soon; however, he doesn't feel comfortable with a general commitment either ("Sometimes I see us together long-term, but sometimes I don't" is how he explained it to me). He says that this is due to the fact that he wants to focus on his career. While I understand his sentiment, I am confused because he is still contacting me and telling me that he loves me.  How should I approach the situation? He makes me happier than anyone I know and I trust him completely. I just don't want to find out 3 years from now that his mind still hasn't changed.

Category: Relationship