Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  I have a doctoral degree in psychology and have a history of providing couple's and family therapy.
74815544

I left my husband due to domestic abuse. He called and told

Customer Question

i left my husband due to domestic abuse. He called and told me he has a limited time to live. he wants me to come back, but wouldnt impending death make him even more abusive?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.
*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.
Hello, I believe I may be able to help you with your concern. I am sorry that you are having this issue with your husband, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. I think if your husband has already demonstrated a prevalence for domestic violence than there is a higher likelihood that he would continue to be aggressive and violent towards you in the future if you came back. I think your supposition that he may be more abusive because he says he as a limited time to live is correct as he has nothing to lose, and I believe that he is using this impending death of his to guilt you into returning to him. Individuals who are prone to domestic violence do not change over night and if you returned to him it would put you at a much higher risk for future violence, which is not something you want. I think you are wise to continue to be separated from your husband as that would be the safest course of action for you.
I hope this answers your question and gives you guidance on this issue. I wish you all the best moving forward from this.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service, so if you ever have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime. If I answered your question satisfactorily I would very much appreciate if you could rate my performance in helping you so that I can get credit for this question. Thank you very much