TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker
64783947

I have been married to my husband years, we are both

Customer Question

I have been married to my husband for 26 years, we are both 44 years old. We have been able to have sex probably 3 times within the past year due to him having erectile problems. He has tried Cialis(a sample he got from the office where he works) & Viagra(was ordered online) and they are not working for him. He refuses to go to the doctor because he is embarressed and doesn't want to talk about it.
I am really upset that he will not go to the doctor. I have a very strong sex drive & know that if he doesn't hurry up and do something that I will. Please advise how to handle thus situation.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome. I'm a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.
I am sorry to hear about this for both of you. It is a shame he is embarrassed about such a common problem...and what he has tried hasn't worked. Whatever is ordered online, there is no guarantee that it is the drug that he has purchased.
I know you have spoken with him about him going to the doctor, but I would sit with him again in a loving moment...and let him know how much you care and love him and how attracted you are to him and want to still share this part of life with him. Remind him there is no shame in this issue and it affects many men. Let him know you are there to support him and will do what you can to make it easier for him to see the doctor.
Since you can't force hi to go, you can only let him know how you feel for him and want this for each other. Love him through this tough spot.