Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I am in a mess and need help... My husband and I have been

I am in a mess and need help...
My husband and I have been married for 2 years and have a child that will be 3 in December. He yells alot at my son which I think is wrong and have even videoed some of it because it is disturbing to me. As of lately my husband has been nicer to me but in the past we would fight and he would throw and break furniture and would tell me it was the only way he could get me to calm down. He also told me he has never started a fight between us that I always have. I told him I didn't realize he was perfect. I have gone to see a divorce attorney for my sake and my son and I think my husband may know it because he has been helping more and been nice to me (but still yells at our son way too much in my opinion) So he tells me yesterday he has a surprise in the making for me and if I don't love it he will give me a divorce the next day. So I call a friend to find out what it is since I am considering leaving and she tells me he is planning to give me the wedding I never had because we got married at the courthouse. He wants to take me to FL and have our best friends go and get married there. I was taken back but the more I analized it I thought if he were giving me the wedding I wanted where is my family?? He doesn't get along with my family and could care less if we see them or not but he doesn't get along with his own family either. I am at such a loss and don't want to make the wrong decision for my son and just really need some input. I do go to counseling every week and take Zoloft to deal with everything...
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help with this situation.

You husband has severe problems with anger management and may have what is called antisocial personality disorder or a very malignant case of nacissistic personality disorder. He is out of control and is very manipulative as well. He does not really care for anyone, it seems but likes to be in control. When he is not, he is a threat.

He will continue to hurt your son by abusing him emotionally, and your son will pay a high price if you stay in the relationship with him.

He is not interested in doing something wonderful for you other then to use it to hold on to you longer.

If you have videos of his behavior I suggest you give them to someone you trust for safekeeping, in case they are ever needed.

If you have the choice of taking the present (more enslavement to this man who abuses and terrifies you and your son) or a divorce tomorrow, then take the divorce.

He will not be happy about your choice, but that is the only one for you if you want to have a change at a happy life for you and your son.

As a professional outsider, I can tell you that this is as clear as the difference between black and white. Get out while you have the chance, and don't look back.

I shall keep you and your son in my prayers and hope that you find the couarage and wisdom to break free.

Warm regards, XXXXX XXXXX God protect you and give you strength.

Warmest regards,