Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Since my daughter met this man...she left a good job, moved

Since my daughter met this man...she left a good job, moved far away and has started to feel like a stranger. She has alienated her family and now intends to marry him in his home town so his family can all be there and our family will be on the outside looking in. How can I go without crying the whole time. my heart is broken but I am trying to be strong and attend. Feel so sad that I can't plan it with her and that his Mother will be there doing it in my place. He is such a control freak and jealous of any time she spends with us. When he does come to our home he is on his cell phone the whole time with his mother.

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 9 months ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help you.

This is a very sad situation for you and it seems that you will have to do your best to accept the situation, as awful as it seems, so as not to give the boyfriend or other family any reasons for trying to further alienate you.

Be as wonderful as possible to her. She will see your sadness. Don't tell her. Let her use her intuition to feel it.

Be a great contrast to this manipulating and controlling man. She will tire of him, hopefully sooner or later.

Be the shining light on the hill for her and she will come to you if she needs you.

He will go to far one day and she will see the truth. The bigger the contrast you are, the easier it will be for her to see the difference beween black and white.

It sounds as if he is a momma's boy, and not his own man. She will tire of him when she becomes a bit more mature, or finds that she is second fiddle to him momma.

Sometimes the best control and power you have is just to bet a better person and let the others see you inner strength.

I shall keep you in my prayers for that inner strength, knowing that the truth will eventually change the situation. She is YOUR daughter and will one day, hopefully sooner than later, see him with your eyes. You raised her and she will see it.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.