Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology helping with relationships
50444359

my husband is in a home for alzheimers sufferers and is having

my husband is in a home for alzheimer's sufferers and is having a relationship with another patient. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Mark :

Hi! I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

Dr. Mark :

This is so hurtful, I'm so sorry. It is so hurtful in so many ways:

Dr. Mark :

it's just humiliating as well as everything else.

Dr. Mark :

What's amazing as well is that I was just at a training seminar about Alzheimer's treatment

Dr. Mark :

and this subject actually was discussed in depth. For the first time, the health profession is willing to address this.

Dr. Mark :

So, you are not facing an unusual situation, there are others facing the same situation.

Customer:

Is it advisable to remove my husband from this facility, or will it be preferable to wait and see how the situation develops. At the moment it is at the kisses, fondling and cuddling and holding hands stage , but I would draw the line at any further attempts to have sex. Can you advise.

Dr. Mark :

This is a very important point you raise:

Dr. Mark :

And the way you have to judge it is based on the facility.

Dr. Mark :

The most desirable process is to ask for a case conference with the doctors, attending nurses, therapists, etc. at the facility to discuss your husband's situation.

Dr. Mark :

Discuss with them that this is an unacceptable situation for you.

Dr. Mark :

You have the right to both feel that way and to say it to them.

Dr. Mark :

Ask them if they have any procedures they could put in place to address this issue in a way that would resolve it?

Dr. Mark :

This means, by resolving it, that your husband would no longer come into contact with this woman.

Dr. Mark :

That might mean moving her to a different floor, etc.

Dr. Mark :

As far as telling him, that's almost always the easiest part: she moved out.

Dr. Mark :

It's the staff you need to have on your side here.

Dr. Mark :

Is this possible, do you think?

Customer:

I agree with you that i have the right to feel this is unacceptable. They must be prepared to monitor the situation as that is why he is there in the first place, to be monitored 24 hours per day. This woman seems to be in a far better cognitve state than he and she seems to know what she is doing, unlike my husband who has now commented that "we have an open marriage! and that it is not a big deal!"

Dr. Mark :

Good, I'm glad that you agree that this is not acceptable and you don't have to feel it is.

Dr. Mark :

I am afraid that putting your reliance on monitoring is not a good strategy, though.

Dr. Mark :

No facility can monitor in that way.

Dr. Mark :

Especially if she's the initiator and instigator and she's more alert than he is.

Dr. Mark :

Monitoring is not what you are looking for. Separation is. Agreed?

Customer:

Separation is the answer, agreed! Thank you Doctor

Dr. Mark :

You are so welcome.

Dr. Mark :

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Mark :

Hi. The system says you've stepped out of the chat. Would you like to continue? If not, could I ask you to give a rating before you leave? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology helping with relationships
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.