Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hi,A while ago, I was having a rough time in my

Hi, A while ago, I was having a rough time in my life. I got somewhat involved with a guy who didn't have a lot of good qualities. However, at the time, perhaps I didn't either. I ended up getting sexually assaulted by this guy when he got very angry. It only lasted about 2 minutes, and I didn't struggle. I was taking xanax and lamictal, though, and that seemed to make the xanax have quite a bit of an effect, although I wasn't incapacitated or anything. Looking back, I wonder if part of it was me playing the victim just to make him look bad. The guy apologized profusely, and was genuinely sorry for what he did. I was still very traumatized by the event and quickly developed a trauma bond to him. I had been in a very emotionally abusive relationship before, so I knew what a trauma bond felt like. I should have gotten away from him, but I didn't. I said that I forgave him, and he was relieved. He had verbally pressured me for sex for a while (he didn't say anything degrading or hurtful, just kept bringing it up), and I repeatedly said no. When I was with him about 4 days after the assault, he brought up the idea again and I said no. In about an hour, though, I suggested that we have sex. He was surprised and asked me repeatedly if I was sure. I said yes, and the next day was horrified at my decision. I couldn't understand why I did it. Looking back again, I was still taking the lamictal and xanax, although it was less xanax than during the assault. I was devastated by the event, and later angry at him for it. I guess I am wondering if my anger is justified. He couldn't have know about the medication, and he probably didn't understand trauma bonds. However, should he have recognized that it was odd that suddenly I was falling in love with him and doing things that I normally do after he assaulted me? I guess my question comes from still feeling devasted about the event. I know it was at least partially my fault, but I guess I want to feel like I'm not all to blame my own pain. That probably stems from my old relationship, where I was blamed for everything. I will give you a good tip - thanks so much for reading all this!

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 10 months ago.

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

Your requested professional is unable to assist at this time.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I would like to continue waiting please. However, I could go with any professional, except for Elliott, if you don't mind. He has done an excellent job answering several of my questions, but I was just looking for some variety for this question.

Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 10 months ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear Kaylei,

It seems that this question remains unanswered by others, so I will get back to you.

You have to accept full responsibility for what happened between you and this man. He did not drug you, did not deceive you. You knew he was very sexually charged, and yet you kept company with him.

Right now you are in denial about your your responsbility and are having continual obsessive thoughts about him.

He is no prize, but he did what most men would have done

The best way to get over this is to try to stop you obsessive thoughts, as they are dominating your life to a larger extent then necessary.

Let me recommend this workbook for you:

Product Details

Thoughts and Feelings: Taking Control of Your Moods and Your Life by Matthew McKay PhD, XXXXX XXXXX PhD and Patrick Fanning

You CAN stop these thoughts and move on. It is easy to say "just stop thinking about it". However it doesn't work like that. This book will put you through the exercises and help you to heal and forget about him, AND MOVE ON.

May God give you strength.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.