Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

hello Elliott. its been a while. hope you are doing well.

Customer Question

hello Elliott. it's been a while. hope you are doing well. I am wondering why do I hear so many older people 59-70 telling me oh I was going with so and so , but we broke up and now I am going with a different man? I live in a small town and often I hear several people breaking up and starting a knew boyfriend relationship. I don't get it. what is it? is this payton's place? let's see what am I trying to ask you: at our age is it okay to keep having relationships , one after another, till we find the "right" one?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 11 months ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I'm doing pretty well. Thank you for asking. I hope you are too.

Other than physical deterioration (or improvement), a person's age is not that relevant to whom he or she is. We always see the world out of the same eyes.

Hopefully, we have obtained discernment. Hopefully our concept of beauty broadens and it includes the spiritual beauty we see with in. That is part of maturing.

I think that some people get stuck in relationships they shouldn't be in and momentum keeps them there.

As we age, some of us grow wiser and have more discernment and will not stick with someone who is not suitable for us - the wrong one.

We should have more discernment and be better able to tell who the right one is. It seems that it feels lonelier to be with the wrong person than to be alone.

It takes a little while to get to know people. If we have high standards of knowledge of who is right for us, and who is not, then we will have to keep moving on until we find the right one.

Some people can go too far and reject all comers, and thus defeat themselves.

Other older people are still players and would rather go for quantity over quality. These are the shallow ones, and I don't think you were talking about them.

You have posed a great question. I think we need to find the right person or at least a very good person and try to make it work. In the later years it it important to have a trusted and loving partner.

You have not given me enough information to know who you are, but from your tone, I believe that I would know you well if you told me more.

In any case, I hope I have answered your excellent question, and I send my blessings and prayers to you.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Ahaa! It's Liz. Hi, and thank you so very much.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hi Elliott. I ordered the cognitive workbook you suggested. two more days before it gets here. are you a Capricorn? if no what is your zodiac sign? thanks. maybe a Sagittarius ......they make good philosophers and you are a good counselor.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thanks also for you making me laugh. your father was, after all, an American and folks come to the us to get rich and to be individual. but now we are bringing in all the "old" country's philosophy about being a team player and also we are finding out rich people have a lot of convenience but not necessarily happiness. I could use your prayers so thank you.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ELLIOTT just want to wish you happy thanksgiving. mine was okay.....no relatives to fight with so didn't have that problem. I did finally buy the cognitive therapy for depression. it seems like the book take a little bit of the 12 step programs philosophy. I read to the anger chapter so far. I need to memorize some of that stuff so when it comes to using it I can just remember them. thanks again. liz Christmas will be a little more difficult to afford, but it seems like it works out every year.

Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 10 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!