Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

30 yo woman seeing a 38 yo man off and on

Customer Question

I'm a thirty year old woman and I've been seeing a 38 year old man for the last three months, off and on. He was married years ago, in his mid twenties for four years before filing for divorce. Communication was the problem. Our first month was wonderful. He courted me and was first to use the boyfriend/girlfriend terms, while I was more hesitant. He waited longer than I think he was used to waiting with other women before we had sex and was incredibly loving when it finally happened - it was beautiful. He even "jokingly" said "I love you" when we were out laughing together a couple times. The second time I "jokingly" said it back and I saw his eyes light up; eyes or heart, I can't be sure. But as the story goes, when I began to get vulnerable and return the strong feelings he expressed, he began to pull away. He told me he was afraid he couldn't give me what I deserved, that he was afraid he would hurt me, that he is bad at long term relationships and he would rather end things now than two years from now when we've gotten in deep. I told him I didn't know where things were heading but that I wanted to be with him and was willing to work on things with him. We've both given each other space but because of our social scenes, we see each other frequently. We haven't been on proper dates since the formal split, but we've had deep talks about relationships, casual fun conversations, and he's made boyfriend like efforts in making sure I'm okay. We've also had sex a couple times that has been very fun and comfortable, but not as intimate as it has been before. I like this guy and I know he cares for me but I also know we both have issues with relationships. We've both expressed we don't know what we're doing and he has said we need to be patient. A lot of the time when we see each other we've been drinking and I also know he's pretty damn charming and smart and probably knows exactly what to say to meet his agenda; I'm the same way. I guess my question is... how do I keep this moving in the direction of a long term relationship and is it on that path? Or, am I just a girl trying to tame a bad boy who will never be tamed? We have a mutual love and respect for each other and we're comfortable and click in a way I don't think either of us are particularly used to. But, as I mentioned, our deficits in maintaining relationships is a big obstacle. Is this something we can overcome or am I just kidding myself?

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 5 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.