Dr. Norman Brown
Dr. Norman Brown, Marriage Therapist
Experience:  Family Therapist & teacher 35+ yrs; PhD research in couples

I have known my boyfriend for 10 years and have been going

Customer Question

I have known my boyfriend for 10 years and have been going out with him for a year now. I thought he was sincere, honest, loyal, nice and has high moral values.

We were planning to get married and I was looking forward to having a life with him. He would act like he's absolutely crazy about me and would say things like I am the best thing to have ever happened to him and how he is the luckiest man to have me, and I believed him, never doubted these were his true feelings. However at the same time, I have always felt like I am not special to him for some reason.

I was away for 6 weeks or so and found out something he did behind my back (he bad-mouthed about me and told people I am crazy etc), and I was shocked because the trust I had in him was the thing I valued the most in our relationship. I was very angry and broke off our engagement. We have been having discussions about the problems and trust issues since (this all happened 4 weeks ago) and he promised he would be completely honest and open with me but failed to do that multiple times when I caught him lying during discussions and in the end, he said he would send me a list of things he has done behind my back, I was shocked to the core and was shaking after I read the list. Compared to what he confessed, the previous problems I was angry about seemed like nothing all of a sudden.

He confessed to making out with a girl after a dinner party while we were trying to sort out our problems and partied until 3am in the morning when I was crying my eyes out because I was troubled by the him bad-mouthing me behind my back. He confessed to paying for multiple hand jobs and blow jobs with prostitutes and sleeping with one when I was away (I've been away three times for work since we started going out, once in February once in March/April and once in Sep/Oct) and he paid for these services every time. He said he thought I wouldn't have a problem with him paying for the first two types of service and that it was never his intention to sleep with the prostitute.

I am very hurt and shocked and disappointed. He turned out to be the complete opposite of what I thought he is. He has shattered the trust I had in him completely. He still says he cares about me and can't imagine a life without me. He said he wasn't thinking when he was doing the things and all he wanted from the prostitutes was them stimulating him physical and he didn't even look at them. But the thought of him going through the trouble to pick out the girls online then call them then go all the way to their places to do this just hurts. I asked him what was in his mind when he was on his way to visit the prostitute he slept with, he said he remembered thinking he wished I wasn't away.

He also confessed to having a drink with a girl months ago when everything was going well in our relationship and didn't mention to her that he had a girlfriend. Why would he do this unless he wanted her to think that he was available?

I don't know what I should do, I keep playing the images of him cheating over and over in my head and can't seem to stop. One of the reasons I didn't doubt for a second his love and affection for me was how he relocated to a different country for me, we weren't even going out then but he gave up everything at home and came out here just to have a chance with me.

Can people truly in love cheat on someone who is supposed to be the most important person in the world to them? Can you really visit prostitutes without thinking it's wrong? He has been talking about how he needs to be honest with himself and get some counselling to help him understand himself more, can someone really not know their intentions and motivations when they search deep down in their heart?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Rafael M.T.Therapist replied 8 months ago.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Hello, I am Rafael. Thanks for asking your question - I'm here to support you. (Information posted here is not private or confidential but public).

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

I am very sorry to know about this overwhelmingly sad and painful situation.

Rafael M.T.Therapist :

Could you please tell me how do you feel now that you know about this overwhelming reality, once it goes against everything you though and felt about this person and your relationship?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I was very shocked and I don't really know what to do now

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I am still in shock, I don't know what to think. We were very excited planning our honeymoon

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I was determined to leave him but then I'd change my mind

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I think that's because a little part of me still wants to believe that he's still the nice person I thought he was. I am not sure if I am deluding myself

I am very sorry for delaying further reply. Your question was changed to another category making it impossible for me to continue replying. Now this issue has been corrected.

I will continue replying now. Thank you for your patience.
What I see from your story is that I don't see anything wrong you may have done in this relationship to cause or deserve all these serious issues, but that you just were not aware of them at all because of your boyfriend's ability to be this dishonest and manipulative.

his behaviors show serious mental health problems, including personality disorders and addictive-compulsive behaviors; from lying to having promiscuous sex, to bad-mouthing you. Each one of these behaviors independently are very concerning, but when happening together tell a very serious story, about a person with severe mental health problems, which would not just go away in a couple of months. These could be serious chronic mental health problems, which would require regular psychological treatment, for him to work on hi rehabilitation process.

As you said, you do not recognize the person you felt in love with, because the the person you have right now in front of you, the real one, happens to be the opposite of the old ideal one you knew. For anybody in your shoes to face the fact that this was an illusion, not because you were not yourself, but exclusively because this person was not honest at all, is very painful, but you need to come to terms with this reality otherwise you could expose yourself to be literally used, abused, manipulated and neglected even more. Because this is not about an isolate event, a one night stand with another woman, but about a serious pattern of sexual promiscuity, dishonesty and manipulation, where he was being abusive literally undermining your image and integrity behind your back, and there is nothing that could justify any of all those serious behaviors.

You do not know is he would truly commit to his rehabilitation process, and if this would work, only time would show it, it would take hard work with professional support through individual and group psychotherapy, then active participation in a support group once group therapy gets completed. But again, this would only work if he really chooses to work on it, and would take a long period of time.

You need to reassess what you are willing and able to afford here from now on, since you do not want to suffer even more because of him. Counseling only would be helpless here, he requires a complete psychological evaluation and from there intensive psychotherapy, including both individual and group sessions. You do not know which personality disorders he may have, if he has a sex addiction, compulsive lying, or any other disorder, which use to be chronic, but again, rehabilitation is possible, but only a few could make it, and those are the ones who fully take responsibility for their actions afford painful consequences, otherwise it would be unrealistic to expect them to change due to the severity of these disorders.

Does it make sense?
Expert:  Dr. Norman Brown replied 8 months ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.