Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

My husband finds it difficult to answer straight forward questions,

Customer Question

My husband finds it difficult to answer straight forward questions, he also keeps lots of secrets. What should I do?? I always feel like there are things I should know, I get this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach, that the truth would be ugly.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help you with this uncomfortable situation.

It seems that the truth is too much for him to reveal to you.

You are filled with anxiety when you think about it (horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach).

He is avoiding answers, hiding the truth, and going to see a counsellor does not help because he ignores the counsellor.

If you want to find out the ugly truth (and it will probably very hurtful) then you may have to hire a private investigator to help you find out.

I have, alas, seen situations like this many times before, and there is no innocent answer.

Trust your instincts. You have a great deal of emotional intelligence and he will not tell you the truth. He may be an excellent liar and deceiver as well, to it is better to trust your gut feelings than an a glib answer from him, or even more telling, no answer at all.

As you already suspected, this doesn't look good. The reasons for secrecy are usually similar:

-another woman

-cross dressing

-criminal activity

-financial problems

-the past coming back to haunt him

I wish you great success in uncovering the mystery and resolving your diffferences.

If you need further assistance, please le me known.

Warm regards,