Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am in a sixteen relationship with

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am in a sixteen relationship with a lady that I call my common-law wife. It has been great, but within the last three years things have changed with her because she stresses (depression) herself out on her problems, and on top of that she is losing her memory. So its become hard for me to want to hang in there because I have been doing all the work and the thinking for the both of us. What should I do?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 12 months ago.

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear Will ,

You are doing the right thing by putting pressure on your wife to get help.

When depression gets serious enough it can lead to memory loss.

Grief is the same as depression, exept that grief fades away. Your wife's grief has turned into full-blown Major Depression and she needs treatment with therapy and with medications.

When a person gets very depressed they also cannot think clearly and lost their interest in life, love, and pleasures.

Because she does not want to lost you, you can force her to see a therapist and begin treatment, which may also include antidepressants.

Be strong and make her go and you can turn her around,.

I shall keep the both of you in my prayers,

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Elliott,

thank you. D has an appointment in the works right now. Her doctor has referred her to a Neurologist. First ... what will they do to her? And second, will it help?

Dear Will,

You are very welcome.

The neurologist will check her brain function to see if there is any organic cause for her forgetfulness. If he finds nothing then he will rule out any organic cause.

I believe that her problem is Major Depression, but it is good to get her checked out first by a neurologist just to make sure.

They might give her a scan, but that is all.. It is not likely that they will find anything physically wrong, but it is definitely the right approach to rule that out.

I believe that she is suffering major depression because she has all the symptoms.

In any case, I shall keep you both in my prayers.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.