How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ask Eleanor Your Own Question

Ask Eleanor
Ask Eleanor , Therapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 1517
Experience:  Marriage & Family Therapist with 20 Years Experience
Type Your Relationship Question Here...
Ask Eleanor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have an difficult issue with my boyfriends adult children.

Resolved Question:

Hi, I have an difficult issue with my boyfriends adult children. My boyfiriend and I met four years ago after we were both divorced. We are both 51 and we do not live together, but we want to and I am the one who will not budge. My boyfriends sons 21 years old and 25 years old live at home, do not work, play video games all day, watch TV and smoke weed. Neither one of them finished high school. Both are lazy and feel that their dad owes them everything and to top it off they are rude and disrespectful. The younger son now has a baby with his 20 year old girlfriend and has moved her into the house without asking and she has no form of income either. The 25 year old son dropped out of school when he was a freshman and he has an extreem weight (obesity) issue and I also feel he has emotional and social growth problems. I used to go to my boyfriends home, but recently stopped because I just cant take their behaviour and my anger is being directed towards boyfriend who is a very passive, loving kind man. I just want him to stand up for what he wants and not let them run his life. I feel like they have hi hostage. His children call me derogatory names and say that I am an evil miss do gooder when I stand up for their father requests. I offered to teach them to cook so they dont live on frozen pizza's and burritos. I offered to help them get back into and finish school, and also offered to help them find jobs, but I just end up being the bad person because I dont think its ok to sit around and smoke weed. Its really hard because their mother is a heavy pot smoker and they see how she lives and they dont want to change. My delima is how can I stay in a relationship with this man when his children were raised so differently then how I raised mine. I would never ask him to exclude them from his life because I know he loves them, but they do not respect me for who I am and they dont respect their father. I know that is something he has to work on with them, but what I am trying to figure out is how can I be part of his life and not subject myself to their problems.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Ask Eleanor replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am a Marriage and Family Therapist in practice for 20 years and have worked with many couples with similar issues. You are very wise to have not moved in with your boyfriend. The only way you can have a relationship with this man and not be subjected to the problems of his children and his dysfunctional relationship with them is to draw firm boundaries for yourself. You will never be able to change them or the dynamics with their father, and if you get sucked into trying to help them it will only result in major stress for you. I would tell your boyfriend that while you care for him and would like to live together, you will not and cannot live with him and his children under these circumstance. If he wants to live with you while continuing to support his children in his home, that is his choice which you may or may not accept. If this is acceptable to you, you must make clear to him that he will have to arrange to see them outside of your home. This is not at all an unreasonable position as these are grown children, well, at least chronologically. It is not only okay, it is very healthy to be able to say no to this situation and draw boundaries to take care of yourself. I hope this is helpful; let me know if you have additional questions. Take care, Eleanor

Ask Eleanor, Therapist
Category: Relationship
Satisfied Customers: 1517
Experience: Marriage & Family Therapist with 20 Years Experience
Ask Eleanor and other Relationship Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Kate McCoy

    Kate McCoy


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
< Last | Next >
  • Kate McCoy's Avatar

    Kate McCoy


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist


    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Ms Chase's Avatar

    Ms Chase

    Life Coach

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 yrs experience with Relationships, Sexuality, Friendship, and Family Issues
  • Alicia_MSW's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specializing in relationship/family counseling
  • Dr. Norman Brown's Avatar

    Dr. Norman Brown

    Marriage Therapist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Family Therapist & teacher 35+ yrs; PhD research in couples
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as a Psychologist and Marriage & Family Therapist.
  • Suzanne's Avatar


    Therapist, LCSW

    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in treating trauma, relationship issues, co-dependency

Related Relationship Questions