Kate McCoy
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
54658078

Hi Kate, hope all is well. My son stopped by today after

Hi Kate, hope all is well. My son stopped by today after a local appointment. I know he was in the house for a while before saying hi to me and I was upstairs. I thought that was odd. I have significant jaw pain today so I told him that's why I am doing little talking. Just so he is aware. He was also very quiet, shared nothing than left. I gave him some essential items. What is normal? No hug upon leaving, no sharing, no small talk. I made a couple comments of small talk.

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Josie and I am a moderator for this topic. I sent Kate, your requested professional, a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Expert:  Kate McCoy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dee,

Normal might be your son seeking you out or you seeking him after he has come home and dealt with whatever he was there for. Then he might have talked with you for a few moments and may or may not have shown affection. How people interact in families depends very much on personality and family dynamics. Some families are very open with their feelings and some are not. But both are normal for that family.

Given the past history of your relationship, what happened may be the normal for the both of you, at least for now. As things improve, then your expectations of how he treats you can improve as well. It takes small steps as you learn to form a new normal for both of you.

Kate
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I feel it is more distant than necessary.

Expert:  Kate McCoy replied 1 year ago.
I understand. It may take more time and possibly more open communication in order to fix this. There are basically two choices- leave it as it is and try to work around it or talk to him either just between you both or with his therapist. Talking to him is the more difficult route, but it is also the best way to get answers and to resolve this situation.

This is hard on you I know. Take it one step at a time and be good to yourself. You are working on things and that is great.

I will be away for the next few hours so if you respond Iwill get back to you asap.

Kate
Kate McCoy, Counselor