Kate McCoy
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues

Kate, I feel like it is often and may be a pattern.

Kate, I feel like it is often and may be a pattern. He wont even give me hug when leaving when I do see him after stopping by the house sometimes. he talks and shares with me but has obvious limits. I do not ask for a hug or give him one myself nor do I pry with many questions.  I talked about what he wants to talk about.  I can sense that he doesn't want to give a hug so I never pressure that.   my other son is more open and always give me a hug before he leaves.

Category: Relationship
Expert:  Kate McCoy replied 9 months ago.
If you do see a pattern, then most likely this is more about him than it is your own issues. He may be fearful of being enmeshed again, or he has other feelings about what happened at home that he is not sharing. It might be helpful to try therapy again, even for a few sessions just to see if you can talk this out and reset the boundaries. He needs to feel it is ok to express himself and not hold back all the time, which in turn hurts you.

Kate
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

that's what it feels like to me that he is afraid of becoming en eshed again but I wasn't sure because I always thought that was just my projection or my fear. Do we really need to reset boundaries or is he just staying at a comfortable level that works for him at this time in his life and I so far have just been respecting his limits. both of my sons have a personal side that they don't share with me which is normal but with him in particular maybe he's being overly cautious or learned to be protective and anxious even when that threat is no longer there.

he is clearly uncomfortable in the house which might have a lot to do with the past but I honestly I'm also uncomfortable around him

You don't have to reset boundaries. But if this is not addressed in some way, he could possibly remain as distant as he is right now. He may be protecting himself and if that is the case, he needs to know he is safe with you. That means resetting boundaries, maybe through therapy or if he is willing, talk it out with you. But if this current situation works for both of you and you understand why he is doing what he is doing, then it is ok to acknowledge it and let it go. He could eventually work it out on his own and through talking with others.

Kate
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

how do I address this with him. Should I just tell him im aware he is uncomfortable in the house and that I wish for him to feel a sense of safety around me? so far the only response he has received from me is respecting jis

boundaries but I'm being hurt because I could tell that he's not being completely authentic was how he behaves. well maybe authentic is not the right word. What I mean is there is some tension.

You can tell him that you noticed he seems guarded and ask if you can help. Try to be very neutral about it and show concern for him. Ask once and if he resists, back off. Then try again at a later time. You can also mention that you want him to feel safe with you, but you might want to wait until he shares what he feels first. You don't want to scare him by bringing up an issue he is not ready to talk about yet.

Kate
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

okay I can bring it up in that manner next time I see him. However I wonder if I freaked him out today by asking if he wanted me to meet him at Dr. nohens office to exchange documents because he didn't have enough time to stop home. I even told him I could make rice with the chicken I already have prepared if he stops by the house. Yet he told me he had no time and I am aware of his tight schedule. this is the first time I asked him if I could offer him some food because last time he didn't even have enough time to eat. I don't usually do this but me reaching out might trigger a fear response in him which might be responsible for his short answers and not so appreciative of my offer. I let it go because I'm always thinking about boundaries in the back of my mind.

It is possible that reaching out might have triggered his issues. He could be struggling with new feelings about the past or just be unsure of what to do. Offering to have him for dinner is a normal thing to do. But because of what he feels, it could be that he is pulling back to keep himself safe, even if there is no threat to him.

Kate
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thank you for telling me that the offer to give him food was normal. Normal is the type of relationship I would like to create with him. Yet boundaries will continue to be respected. For some reason, it was helpful when you told me that it was normal because mostly, is the family dynamic is dysfunctional

You're welcome, Dee. You are doing a good job with him. It is sometimes a struggle to find a "new normal" once you have both gone through so much together. But you continue to try, which is going to help this to work. And he no doubt wants a relationship with you. He just needs to find his way to where he feels ok.

Kate
Kate McCoy, Counselor
Thank you, Dee! I appreciate the positive ratings and bonuses, very much! :)

Kate
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Since we both want a relationship, then a new normal should eventually be attainable.

Thank you once again and have a good week until I speak to you next time

I agree.

You are very welcome. You have a good week too!

Kate