Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I, know someone from the vets office (receptionist/assistant)

I, know someone from the vet's office (receptionist/assistant) where I have gone for about fifteen years. This person offered to help me if I needed it, and this is what happened: I, dropped my cat off to be boarded and did not get to plan for contacting her and then she may have considered that, the next time I saw her four days later to pick up my cat, she said she is not ever home and does not have a computer. Now, I have other things I am working on/doing for this but should I send her a note or card or do nothing? I go in about two or three times a year. My concern is she offered to have me call her there. I feel like just not ever asking her anything, or should I get further clarification? How? I need to know what she had in mind. Thanks...
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Hello again, dear friend,

You seem to want to show your appreciation for this helpful and kind woman. I think that it would be most appropriate and quite welcome if you sent her a card of thanks ad a note of appreciation for her consistent kindness and helpfulness.

If you wish to iniitiate a conversation you could, and beneath your name on the card you could include your phone number, giving her the option of calling you.

People always like to hear that they are liked and appreciated and that is often the basis of many friendships.

I wish you great success.

Warm regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That sounds great. Now, if someone offers help like that, how would you say it could be dealt with so there was no waiting; is there an immediate way to solidify and define a committment like that? I feel if I had done that right away this could have been more settled and on its way by now. Part of my plan is to do this in the future so can you tell me how? I have had normal friendships but so many were in younger years and school and did not involve adult kind of support and the issues with that.

The best way to have normal friendships is to be honest and open and say directly what is on your mind in a brief, clear, and friendly way.

Use positive body language (smile, face the person and look at them directly) and talk to them as you would a friend or family member.

Just be open and direct and you will succeed.

I shall keep you in my prayers for success.

Warm regards,