Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

I lied to my girlfriend

I lied to my girlfriend a few days ago I told her no one knew about our problems and she just found out one of my friend's knew. The problem is that I've lied to her a lot. I want to stop lying and I have. I'm changing my ways I haven't lied to her in a good while because I want to be with her for ever but now that she found this out she dumped me. Any help?

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I believe that I can help with this question.

It is not possible to take back what you said. She feels that she cannot trust you and that you have a loose tongue. She feels betrayed, and evidently this was not the first incident but rather the final straw - the one that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

If you start seeing a therapist and tell her that you are, AFTER you have already started, and even invite her to come to the session with you.

If you had a professional, neutral, third party, you and he could make some headway.

The best advice is to gently keep trying to stay in touch with her and convince her that you are getting help to change. Let her know that people who realize their fault and work on this, especially with professioal help, can change.

Let her know that you want to do what it take to demonstrate to her that you HAVE changed and that you can be the right one for her.

I wish you great success. perseverance, and courage, and shall keep you in my prayers to that end.

Warm regards,