askcounselor
askcounselor, Counselor
Experience:  I am a licensed clinical mental health therapist.
64216353

Hello dr Page, I have a question about my daughter.How can

Hello dr Page, I have a question about my daughter.How can I boost her selfesteem and at the same time teach her that she had to be more respectful and patient with people.She is almost 13 and still has a difficult time when I talk on the phone as well.
Hi, I'm Josie and I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Well, I have a thirteen year old as well, and the best way to validate a young teenager is to give him or her non-judgmental positive regard. This is a way to boost self-esteem because when you give unconditional support coupled with a caring expression, it will lead to self-affirmation.

To teach a young teen to be more respectful with others, try role-playing! Do a role-play of a rude exchange, and then do a role-play of a polite exchange, and ask your teen to note that the polite communication is preferable. Explain to your young teen that it is easier to catch more bees with honey, and that her needs will always be better met with having polite exchanges and respect for others.

askcounselor, Counselor
Experience: I am a licensed clinical mental health therapist.
Thank you for your positive feedback. I'm sure your teen will grow and develop well with your concern, example and positive regard.