Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

what is ok dress sense?

Customer Question

what is ok dress sense?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 2 years ago.

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear Gail,

I believe I can help with this issue.

If you know what's best for you then you will feel best. Look at fashion magazines, lifestyle television, and your favorite stars. Get a good full length mirror as well. That is a start. Here are some tips to give you a good dress sense and make you feel more confident.

First develop you personality style. Think about how you would like to dress if money or your body shape were not an issue. Decide what type of image you would like to project. Think about celebrities you admire for their dress sense. Go through magazines and cut out styes or clothes that appeal to you. You might not be able to afford the most expensive clothes, but you can be inspired by them.

Go through your closet and drawers and pick out your favorite clothes the ones you always wear. Separate them from the ones that are out of style, don't fit well, or just don't project the image you want.

Try on your favorites in front of a mirror and see what makes you feel good about them, do they flatter your skin tone or eye color, or your figure. You could even write down your impression as you go.

Decide what accessories you need to complete an outfit. You may have wonderful slacks that suit you but if you don't have an appropriate top, then jot that down on a shopping list. Match up your favorite items and purchase complementary accessories.

Look in the mirror and get to know your body type and get tips in lifestyle or fashion magazines for clothing items that compliment your particular shape.

Take that list you made of ideal clothing and adjust it to suit your body type.

Find a store or stores that sell the type of clothes that your newly emerging sense of style, body type, and age. Tell the sales person what you are looking for and browse until you find a few things to try on.

If you are not sure, try it on and see how it looks and feels. You migtht learn something about your preferences and about what looks good on you.

Look in the mirror or bring a trusted friend with you to give you feedback, especially a friend whose fashion sense you trust or admire.

Don't buy anything unless you love it.

To maintain good dress sense, buy classic clothes instead of trendy clothes.

Have special occasion clothes that you wear for particular type of events. Be prepared for a variety of situations from very causual indoor, outdoor, warm cold, parties, formal occasions, and even funerals.

As your body changes (most people's do) or as you age, you might want to change your wardrobe to maintain your sense of style.

If your body changes, change your wardrobe. As you get older, you should want to dress differently. If you have lost 10 pounds and are keeping it off, buy new jeans and rethink what you might be able to wear at this new size.

Keep up with new styles and window shop when you get an opportunity. You may find something wonderful for you and you can broaden your horizons.

Learn to be confident in your clothing choices and never get anything that doesn't suit you shake or color wise, no matter how good it looks on someone else.

I hope that I have helped.

Warm regards,

Expert in Etiquette, Relationships, Mental Health, Parenting, Dream Interpreation