Thank you for getting back to me.
You have convinced me that he has Narcissistic Personality Disorder.when you said, "Everyone thinks he is the greatest of the great." That describes narcissists. They are con artists and liars and manipulators. Let me show you the official diagnostic criteria for NPD from the DSM-IV psychiatric diagnostic manual. You will see what I mean.
Diagnostic criteria for 301.81 Narcissistic Personality Disorder
(DSM IV - TR)
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
(4) requires excessive admiration
(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
If he has five or more of these traits he is diagnosable.
This is something that won't change.
Let me recommend two essential books for you..
Narcissists are sociopaths, meaning they cannot feel empathy. Your husband is not capable of feeling you pain and suffering. It cannot touch him. He cannot imagine it just as a blind man cannot see.
Get the books. Splitting will help you get to and through a divorce.
I am sorry, but this will be a new day and new life for you.
I shall keep you in my prayers. I am here if you need me.