Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

1. Discuss mindfulness and its pertinence to effective listening

1. Discuss mindfulness and its pertinence to effective listening in interpersonal communication. In your discussion, indicate whether mindfulness is a technique or an attitude and explain how we express our mindfulness to others whom we are interacting.

2. Describe a situation where you would (or would not) express an emotion for an ethical reason. Based on the guidelines for communicating emotions effectively that were raised in the textbook, discuss how two of these guidelines would influence how to act in this situation.

3. Distinguish between love and commitment. Then, explain how each is communicated and how it affects relationships between people.

4. Discuss 3 different approaches to conflict and give an example of each.

5. Describe how gender plays a role in communication. Then, describe how gender communication affects friendships, romantic love relationships, and family relationships.
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 11 months ago.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear XXXXXph,

I believe I can help. These questions are right up my alley, so to speak.

Mindfullness comes from Buddhist thought and meditation, although a religious component is not part of the psychological approach.

It is a way of bring your whole attention to the presnet time and experience a moment by moment perception of the flow of your life. It involves a focused way of paying attention to the present as an observer, without judgement. Every thought, feeling, or emotion that comes up is perceived and accepted.

It can be called a technique, but a true practitioner will be transformed by this approach and thus it becomes an attitude. I do not think that it can be practiced as effectively as just a technique. To teach "being here now", one must live it to be able to pass on the essence of this way of being.

I do not have the textbook to reference, but I can tell you that emotions are communicated with words, with affirmations and acknowledgment of the others statemtns, and with body language.

If someone is telling you about a deep emotional experience, such as grief, great attention and seriousness must be bestowed on them. Words of comfort must be spoken, and a look of concern and understanding of their pain must be shown in your face and posture. Rapt attention will show them that you are listening and that you care.

Love and commitment are intertwined. You can say that you love someone and feel that love in your heart. The other likes to hear this and it makes them feel special. You can feel that love resonating inside you like a glowing fire, and your heart can fill up with this feeling.

Love is the engine that starts commitment. Love without commitment soon withers away. Commitment is the long-range proof and test of love. Where love is on the surface (even if it seems to burn inside), commitment is LOVE writ large. Without love, comittment is only duty and has no emotional basis.

I assume that you are talking about ways of approaching conflict in order to resolve it.

-AVOIDANCE is used when the person has little interest in resolving the conflict, because the level of conflict is low, and a passive approach without intervention is often effective because the conflict may just fade out fastest with this apporach.

-YIELDING is used when the person has little concern for the outcome for themselves but more concern of the outcome to the others and will meet their needs in order to end the conflict and give deference to the other person.

-COMPETITION is the most assertive and can be called fighting or doing battle to dominate.

Other approaches are cooperation and conciliation.

These differences are best characterized in Gray's Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus".

Men communicate with honesty, directness, and facts. They reason, use logic, employ power, status, and rank; they are competititve, like to win, and are more team players as well. They talk to solve problems and exchange information, avoid the personal and discuss events and facts. They are more direct direct and blunt and they reflect and process their information internally in order to make decisions.

Women are indirect, nurturing, and respectful. They use empathy, harmony, feelings, they are more harmonious and more intimate and sharing in their relationships, tend to cooperate, be intuitive, and make connections and build rapport. They are indirect, more tactful than men, and use more terms of courtesy. They talk about feelings and relationships and process their information externally in order to make decisions, often by talking out loud to others.

I hope this helps. I hope you earn an A and I a bonus for a thorough and time-consuming job which I thoroughly enjoyed. I am a professional published writer and this is all orignally material written for YOU.

Warm regards,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience: 35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.