Norman M.
Norman M., Psychotherapist
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DHP, ECP, UKCP Registered, 10 years in relationship counselling, over 2,000 satisfied mental health customers.
14727623

What is the difference between being authentic, being fake

Customer Question

What is the difference between being authentic, being fake and positive changing?
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Norman M. replied 1 year ago.

Norman M. :

Hello JennyDoe.

Expert:  Norman M. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Norman M. replied 1 year ago.
Being fake and being authentic.

I´d like to take these back to front as it were.

Being authentic, in a psychological and philosophical sense means living one´s life in accordance with ones own inner sense of self and being, without taking to much regard of society´s pressures to conform. That, at least, is the view of the existentialist philosophers, such as Nietsze and Kirkegarrd. Others (Golomb) suggest that this is taking things a bit far, because in the final analysis, this requires one to disregard the feelings and needs of others.

Fromm argues that it is still possibe to be authentic and comply with societ´s requirements, so long as the person concerned accepts that these requirements are reasonable, and does not conform just for the sake of conforming.

The great psychologist CJ Jung said of authenticity "“The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are.”

Being fake is the polar opposite of being authentic. It means being all things to all people, going in whatever direction seems appropriate at any given time, despite having doubts internally as to whether that is the right thing to do.

As far as positive changing is concerned, success in changing depends entirely on authenticity. Professor Taylor of San Francisco University says that "Perhaps the most difficult part of changing your life involves exploring your inner world. True change cannot just occur on the surface or outside of you. Change means not only understanding who you are, but also why you are who you are, in other words, what makes you tick."

In other words, if you are going to change positively, you need to identify your starting points and your real goals.

Change not based on authenticity is going to fail simply because it is built on a false foundation.

Hope this helps,
Norman.
Norman M., Psychotherapist
Experience: ADHP(NC), DHP, ECP, UKCP Registered, 10 years in relationship counselling, over 2,000 satisfied mental health customers.