Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  Experienced in counseling all age persons on relationship issues.

What is the difference between reacting and discussing things

What is the difference between reacting and discussing things calmly with your partner? Can you give me some examples?
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

When a person reacts to a situation, it is one-way communication and can be destructive. The person gives an emotional response which may be a behavior or may be words said with an emotional tone (angry, sad). The person may say, in an angry voice: "Why did you spend all that money on clothes. You are so selfish and only think of yourself. I am so mad I cannot think." and then, walks away.

In a discussion, the conversation is two-way with give-and-take. A person may say, in a calm voice, "Honey, I am upset that you spent that money on clothes because we can't afford it right now. How can we problem-solve this together so that you can buy clothes AND I won't get so mad." A discussion involves one person beginning with an "I-statement" = I feel ____ when you _____ and I would like to discuss this with you. Another strategy is called speaker/listener technique used when discussions are difficult:

I hope this is what you are looking for.