Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

what are signs of a personality disorder?

Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

This is a tremendous subject since there are 10 disorders divided into three clusters with many criteria or signs.

Cluster A people are withdrawn, cold, suspicious, or irrational (Paranoid, Schizoid, or Schizotypal PDs).

Cluster B people are dramatic, emltiona, and attention seeks with shallow and labile moods, and have intense interpersonal conflicts (Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic, and Narcissistic).

Cluster C people are anxious and intesne;and often over-controlled. (Avoidant, Dependent and Obsessive compulsive personality disorder).

You can research all of these separately. It is a very large subject and I have given you the basic outline.

Warm regareds,

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

according to this, everyone including myself has these traits

Dear XXXXX,

Everyone is imperfect and has quirks in their personalities. A person with a personality disorder is so diagnosed because they have a certain number of clearly identifiiable traits part of a list of criteria for a particular personality disorder. It they don't meet the criteria of the minimum number required (4,5, 6 - whatever is required for the particular disorder), then then are not strictly diagnosable.

Some people have several from different categories which interfere with their life and can be diagnosed as Unspecified Personality Disorder in the latest diagnostic manual 2013).

I hope you are having a lovely day.

Warm regards,

Elliott

PS - I must be a nice person because you feel you don't have to give me credit. Thanks for the compliment. Smile