Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.

In April my boyfriend of 21/2 years wanted to go to Vegas to

In April my boyfriend of 21/2 years wanted to go to Vegas to visit his brother whose girlfriend was there doing a 6 month residency. I expressed to him that I did not want him to go due to my insecurities. He didn't really press the issue in my opinion, although he disagrees, so I didn't think the trip was of high priority to him, but he now claims that, out of respect for me, he did not go. Now, I want to go Vegas with 2 of my girlfriends, one of which was fortunate enough to get VIP passes to the iheartradio concert for a 3 day weekend. I've expressed to him how important it is to me and that I feel it is a big opportunity which I feel I would regret missing. My boyfriend is furious. He does not want me to go now because 5 months earlier I didn't want him to go. He feels that he respected my not wanting him to go but now I really want to go. We are looking for your opinion.
Seeking expert testimony is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

You set a standard which he followed and now he is asking you abide by your own rule.

I think that, to be fair, you should agree to his wishes as he agreed to yours. He cancelled a trip to see his brother and you merely want to go to a show. Let's say they are equal even if you say how much you want to go.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander, as the old expressin goes.

Stay home with him and make a great weekend togeither. That is the best compromise.

Warm regards,