Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology helping with relationships
50444359

I HAVE MY BEST FRIEND OF 27 YEARS KEEPS WANTING TO TRY A RELATIONSHIP

Customer Question

I HAVE MY BEST FRIEND OF 27 YEARS KEEPS WANTING TO TRY A RELATIONSHIP WITH ME. HE HAS ASPBERGERS. I'M RECENTLY DIVORCED AND LIVE 2,000 MILES A WAY. WE TRIED A PHONE RELATIONSHIP THEN I WENT TO C HIM IN PERSON. I KNOW WE LOVE EACH OTHER. I JUST FOUND OUT WHAT HE HAS. I ALWAYS KNEW HE WAS DIFFERENT BUT, THAT'S Y I ALWAYS LOVED HIM. 3 TIMES NOW WHEN THINGS ARE GETTING STRONG BETWEEN US HE ENDS IT BY SAYING HE ISN'T FEELING IT. I KNOW HE IS. I UNDERSTAND HE IS SCARED IS BREAKING UP WITH ME NORMAL FOR THEM? HOW DO I GET HIM TO GIVE ME A CHANCE? I WOULD NEVER HURT HIM. I HAVE LOVED HIM FOR 27 YEARS. WHAT DO I DO
Category: Relationship
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I'll be glad to help you with this issue.

It's really quite beautiful that you love him and want the relationship with him to blossom. I work with teens and young adults who have Asperger’s. The experience you relate is typical for Asperger Syndrome (AS). So, I need to caution you about thinking that he does "feel" it but just doesn't recognize it. Why?

Because what you are referring to is his feeling within himself that emotional connection. But the disorder of AS is really centered on the person's not having access to emotional connections in a self-aware, developed way. This is why it's a developmental disorder. Instead, someone with AS learns how to understand the "rule" behind the action. For example, if you are hurt by someone saying something to you, he can learn to "read" a look in your face that signals to him that you need a certain type of response from him. The same with love. How?

He can learn that when he recognizes that he thinks of you as special in his life, that there is a closeness between you two, that this means he has an emotional connection. That he needs to do certain things that make this connection grow. He then can learn the intricacies of noticing what your feelings may be expressing, etc. Step by step.

Yes, this is dispassionate in the way that our normal "wiring" operates. But in his internal world, this is what gives him the chance to interact, to learn the rules that we pick up and learn intuitively. He has to do it as a conscious learning. That's the difference. And you become a bit of a teacher for a while as well as his loved one. You see, he is telling you the truth if he has AS; because he has no other way to know what love is.

Now I want to give you some books to read. I'm going to give you a lot of books to choose from because they are all worthwhile. I'll give you the Amazon pages so you can look at them before deciding.

This first one is important because it has a focus on relationships. Solutions for Adults with Aspergers Syndrome by Juanita Lovett. Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Adults-Aspergers-Syndrome-Maximizing/dp/1592331645/ref=pd_sim_b_6

This one was written by an adult with Aspergers! I think that says enough, don't you? the title will say the rest. Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety by Nick Dubin. Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Asperger-Syndrome-Anxiety-Successful-Management/dp/184310895X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Now this one I want you to read because it's the one written for people who live with adults with Aspergers! The Other Half of Asperger Syndrome by Maxine Aston. Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Half-Asperger-Syndrome-Relationship/dp/1931282048/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Okay. I've overloaded you perhaps. But I hope you can see how each one of these has something else to contribute to you in helping him in his growth and development. Because if you're prepared for what his world is like inside, then it could work.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT U SAID. I LOVE HIM AND WANT TO BE WITH HIM. WE JUST SPENT A GREAT WEEK TOGETHER THAN WHEN I CAME HOME HE SAID, HE DIDN'T FEEL IT. HE SAID, I COULD COME BACK NEXT MONTH BUT, HE MAY HAVE A GIRLFRIEND. I KNOW HE WON'T. THIS IS THE 3RD TIME IN 6 MOS HE HAS DONE THIS TO ME. WANT TO TRY THEN BREAK IT OFF. WHEN I LET A COUPLE WEEKS

GO BY AND DON'T TALK TO HIM IS WHEN HE SAYS, HE CANT QUIT THINKING ABOUT ME. I KNOW HE IS SCARED. HE WAS MARRIED FOR 2 YRS. HE NEVER WANTED TO MARRY HER. SHE REALLY MESSED HIM UP. FINANCIALLY, EMOTIONALLY. I GET HIM. I ALWAYS HAVE. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT TO GET HIM BACK TRYING AGAIN

You know one of the difficult things is that when AS people are away from someone, whatever connection they had can easily not be felt any longer, so he can easily say once he leaves, right after he leaves sometimes, that he doesn't feel it any more.

Therefore, you may have better success by reassuring him that he doesn't need to "feel it". That his knowing that being with you was good. That he can trust you. That you are someone who has his interests in mind. These are the things that he can hold on to. Because he may not be able to feel "it".

That's what I meant. You love him and he's lucky you do. But you may be able to make it work easier if he doesn't have to feel the pressure of feeling "love", which he may not be able to hold on to once you're not with him right there. But he can hold on to those things I said above. So if you try to help him recognize that those things--trust, enjoying being with you, caring for him--that these are the things that count and matter, he may have an easier time getting that you two would be a good couple.

I wish you the very best!

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience: Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology helping with relationships
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I UNDERSTAND A LITTLE BIT MORE NOW. I HAVE NEVER TOLD HIM I LOVE U. I KNOW HE WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I WILL SAY ON THE PHONE LOVE YA. HE HAS A 3 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WHO LOVES ME. I KNOW WE WOULD BE GREAT TOGETHER. I HAVE 2 CHILDREN. MY DAUGHTER IS 18 AND HE KNOWS HER WELL. HE WILL TELL ANYONE THAT MY DAUGHTER IS THE BEST TEENAGER HE HAS EVER SEEN. HE TELLS ME HE HAS MORE RESPECT FOR ME THAN ANYONE ELSE HE KNOWS. I WANT TO BE WITH HIM I DON'T WANT TO SCARE HIM. I WILL GO BACK AND C HIM SOON. I NEED HIS TRUST I WOULD NEVER HURT HIM. BUT, HOW DO I GET HIM TO STAY ON BOARD WITH ME? WHEN I LEFT LAST WEEK HE SAID, HE WAS ON BOARD WITH ME COMING BACK AND KEEPING THINGS GOING. THEN, THE NEXT DAY HE GOT SCARED AND SAID HE WASN'T FEELING IT. HOW DO I KEEP HIM ON BOARD? AND NOT PUSH HIM AWAY? I KNOW HE LOVES ME. I LOVE HIM.

T

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

R U THERE? SHOULD I BELIEVE HIM WHEN HE IS NOT FEELING IT. OR DO I BELIEVE IT WHEN HE WANTS TO TRY? IF I KEEP GOING BACK TO SPEND TIME WITH HIM WILL HE GET THE LOVE I FEEL FOR HIM?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

R U THERE?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

R U THERE?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

WHEN HE SAYS THINGS THAT HURT ME. LIKE I MIGHT HAVE A GIRL FRIEND WHEN YOUR HERE WHAT DO THEY MEAN BY THAT? I KNOW THAT FOR 27 YEARS WE HAVE HAD LOVE FOR EACH OTHER. NOW, HE HAS A CHANCE TO BE WITH ME AND IT'S LIKE A ROLLER COASTER. MY FRIEND HAS A SON WITH AS. SHE GETS THE SITUATION TOTALLY. SHE SAYS, I HAVE TO IGNORE IT AND SPEND TIME WITH HIM. WE LIKE THE SAME THINGS SO ITS FUN. DO U AGREE? IF I KEEP SHOWING HIM HOW MUCH I CARE WILL HE GET IT I HOPE.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

R U THERE

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

R U GOING TO BE GETTING BACK TO ME? I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I UNDERSTAND A LITTLE BIT MORE NOW. I HAVE NEVER USED THE WORD LOVE WITH HIM. I WILL SAY LOVE YA WHEN SAYING GOODBYE. I DON'T PUT ANY STRESS ON HIM. I ALWAYS TELL HIM JUST LETS HAVE FUN. I KNOW IT SCARES HIM TO GET CLOSE TO HIM. HE ISN'T GOOD ABOUT GETTING BACK TO ME ABOUT THINGS. I HOPE HE IS NOT IGNORING ME. IF I MAKE HIM HAPPY AND WE HAVE A GOOD TIME TOGETHER THEN Y NOT TALK TO ME MORE? I PUT NO DEMANDS ON HIM AT ALL. JUST RETURN A TEXT QUICKER. I DO GIVE HIM A FEW DAYS. CAN I REACH HIM. I KNOW HE IS VERY PHYSICALLY ATTRACTED TO ME. HE TELLS ME THAT. I JUST WANT HIM TO STAY OPENED UP. HOW DO I DO THAT? I'M GOING BACK TO C HIM NEXT MONTH WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT THAT IDEA. OR IS IT WASTE OF MY TIME? PLEASE HELP.

Hi. I'm sorry: I logged off before you replied. So it had to wait till today. I apologize.

Your friend is right: you have to ignore a lot with AS. Because he doesn't know the effect of much of what he does. Because this is an emotional effect and he doesn't feel it the same way. She knows what she's talking about. That's just how it is. I've had young people in my office say things that were very hurtful to someone else who they were in the session room with who they are with. They had no clue the effect of what they were saying on the other person. And they weren't able to read the emotional reaction of the other person. We had to work on that, like training.

So, you have a good source for advice in your friend. But, yes, go and make it a trial run for yourself. Remember: sex is easier for AS than emotional connection. It's a physical sensation to them like everyone else. But they don't necessarily get the tie-in to the emotional bond it makes for "normals". So pay attention to that and see if you can get used to it.

In fact, that's what I mean by a trial run. A lot of this is going to be you getting used to the AS approach to life. It's a lot easier in theory than day to day. You've known him a long time and therefore you're confident. But remember: AS doesn't change. He can learn other rules to follow, but he will not typically feel different than he does now. So he can learn what you need but it will be slowly. And it will take patience on your part. Like your friend has shared with you about her experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

THANK U FOR YOUR ADVICE, I JUST WOULD LIKE TO KNOW Y HE KEEPS SAYING TRY WITH ME THEN SAY, I DON'T FEEL IT. I LOVE HIM. WHAT DO I DO TO GET HIM TO UNDERSTAND THIS? MY FRIEND SAYS, I NEED TO GO C HIM WHEN I SAY I AM. THEN SHOW HIM I'M GOING NOWHERE. I KNOW WE MAY NEVER LIVE TOGETHER OR BE MARRIED BUT, THAT'S O.K. WHAT DO I DO? THANKS

Two points:

1. Make sure to drill it into him over and over that he doesn't have to feel it. There's nothing he has to feel. That he just has to "know". Know what? That he wants to try to make a lasting relationship with you. That he knows you're his best friend. Whatever is the truth. Get the relationship away from him having to "feel" something.

2. Get used to, as your friend seems to be getting at, him not being able to hold on to things when away from you. He's built to where what is in his world is in his world, when it's away, it's out of his world. That is what I'm seeing behind her words and that's my experience as well. So, you have to get used to that. Thus, her advice of going and enjoying being with him. And I'm not sure that you are correct: it could be that being with him on a daily basis would make it far, far easier for him to maintain their relationship because of what I've been saying here.

Okay, All the best to you,

Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'M NOT QUITE SURE I UNDERSTAND PART 2. DOES HE QUIT ENDING IT WITH ME BECAUSE I'M NOT THERE? HE SAYS HE KNOWS I WANT TO BE WITH HIM DOES HE REALLY GET THAT? MY FRIEND SAYS, KEEP GOING BACK AND FORTH LIKE U TOLD HIM U WOULD AND WHEN HE SEES THAT HE WILL GET HOW MUCH U LOVE HIM. SHE SAYS I HAVE TO EARN HIS TRUST. BUT, WE HAVE BEEN CLOSE FOR 27 YEARS. HAVEN'T I ALREADY EARNED IT? DOES IT HURT HIM WHEN I'M AWAY? HE SAYS HE WILL SIT AND THINK ABOUT ME FOR MONTHS AT A TIME. WHEN HE TOLD ME THAT I FLEW TO C HIM RIGHT AWAY. DOES HE GET I DID THAT FOR HIM? WHAT DO I DO TO GET US TOGETHER? I KNOW HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

R U THERE?

Talk with your friend about this point and it might help you understand it. Read what I wrote and then you can add to it:

When you're there, you're in his reality. When you're away, you're not and he looks elsewhere to fill needs: other girls, etc. Your friend is pointing out that repetition brings stability for AS. So go and visit, be consistent with what you say.

I'm pointing out and adding that you've been doing that for 27 years, so you need to continue like she says, AND you need to accept that when you're not there he loses sense of the relationship with you as being the same. It's a bit like out of sight, out of mind, but more complex than that. He doesn't hold on emotionally to his relationship. See if your friend can help you with this point.

I have to tell you that you are really exceptional in the effort you're making for this relationship. Living with someone with AS is tough. I know, I've counseled people doing that. And a long distance relationship is really, really tough with someone with AS.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I WILL RATE U AGAIN. AM I CRAZY FOR LOVING MY FRIEND WITH AS? THANK U FOR THINKING I'M EXCEPTIONAL. I JUST HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN SOMETHING WAS DIFFERENT ABOUT HIM. SEX IS DIFFICULT FOR HIM. DOES HE THINK I'M EXCEPTIONAL FOR ALL I'VE DONE? IF I KEEP VISITING HIM WITH CONSISTENCY DO U THINK HE WILL UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH I CARE FOR HIM?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

R U STILL THERE?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

IF I KEEP COMING TO HIS HOUSE AND VISITING HIM WILL HE STAY ON BOARD ABOUT US? DO I NEED TO WORRY HE WILL GET A GIRLFRIEND BEFORE I GET BACK UP THERE?

Oh, now you're getting into the difficult stuff that can be hurtful. When I work with AS teens and young adults, I have to be prepared for satisfaction being my own awareness, not thanks from them.

Some young people I work with for the long term will have a real emotional goodbye when they leave therapy with me. With AS therapy (with AS it's usually long term therapy until they leave school and get settled in college somewhere or at work) I know it won't be like that; the last session will just be a regular session and they're excited about the future.

So, I'm afraid of you now getting into hurtful territory. Because it's not that AS doesn't appreciate things. It's that AS doesn't appreciate them the same way. Your friend should be able to expand on that sentence!

But if you embark on this journey with him, you have to be prepared that he's not going to be able to enunciate gratitude, recognition of good done for him, owing allegiance and owing things because there's give and get, things like that. You'll need to learn his signs of recognition and appreciation and devotion. And like your friend says, they take a while.

You have a right to step back and say, whoa, this is a lot. Yes, it's a whole lot. Really a whole lot to love someone with AS. And so please don't fault yourself or feel like a traitor or shallow or anything bad if you choose to move on and look for someone "normal" in your life. It's allowed. You have a right. So, either way, I will support your decision.

All the best,

Dr. Mark
Hi. I'm sorry, I typed my answer before your last posting came through.

If he gets another girlfriend, you'll have your answer: it's too much trying to have a relationship with him. Remember: you can't control, you can only try to learn his ways and try to help him learn your ways.

Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

YOUR VERY SMART! I KNOW HIM PRETTY WELL. HE DOES APPRECIATE THINGS I DO FOR HIM, I JUST KNOW IT'S DIFFERENT. I KNOW HE CARES A LOT FOR ME. I BELIEVE HE LOVES ME HIS WAY. HE REMEMBERS EVERYTHING ABOUT ME, EVEN WHEN WE 16 AND JUST MET. I WANT TO BE WITH HIM, I ALWAYS HAVE. I JUST NEED GUIDANCE. SO, I'M GOING TO TELL U WHAT I UNDERSTAND, IF I KEEP TELLING HIM JUST KNOW I'M YOUR BEST FRIEND. JUST KNOW I'M HERE. IF I KEEP GOING TO C HIM LIKE I TOLD HIM I WAS AND KEEP DOING THAT TO SHOW HIM I'M HIS BEST FRIEND HE MIGHT GET IT. MY FRIEND SAYS, I HAVE TO KEEP GOING TO C HIM TO GAIN HIS TRUST AND SHOW HIM THE REPITITION OF COMING BACK HE WILL JUST ACCEPT IT. SHE SAID, THEN HE WILL BE ON BOARD. SHE SAID, HE WOULDN'T CARE IF I MOVED BY HIM AS LONG AS HE KNEW I WAS THERE. SO, WHAT DO U THINK? IF I GO BACK IN A FEW WEEKS DO U THINK I CAN GET HIM TO UNDERSTAND I JUST WANT FUN. ALSO, FOR HIM TO KNOW THAT I WILL BE COMING BACK. IF I DO THIS WILL I EVENTUALLY GET HIM. I KNOW HAVING HIM IS GOING TO BE DIFFERENT. I'M WILLING TO ACCEPT THAT. DO U THINK HE WILL LET ME IN?

Yes to all of it! But the key word?...

Eventually.

It's easy to say, but it is difficult to live sometimes. Because eventually takes time. So, yes, you show him that you are there for him, that you keep your word, that you can be counted on. That's big for AS.

Like I said, you have a good advisor right there. Your friend is telling you good advice. You're fortunate to have that resource.

The only thing I am worried about for you is his capacity to hurt without realizing he's hurting. I'm talking about extra sex when you're not there. Another girlfriend. That is something you've been talking about here and it has the real potential to hurt you. He is capable of it. So talk with your friend about that too, because AS guys (and girls, though there are more AS guys) are capable of it in general and he's shown he's capable of it himself. But, that's my only concern...

All the best,

Dr. Mark
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

MY FRIEND SAYS IT WILL TAKE TIME, I HAVE TO EARN HIS TRUST. I GET THAT. I UNDERSTAND YOUR CONCERN FOR ME. HE HAS ONLY BEEN WITH TWO WOMEN. I'M HIS 3RD. IT WAS AWKWARD FOR HIM. HE SAID, IT TAKES A FEW TIMES TO GET INTO A RHYTHM. MY FRIEND SAID, HE WAS JUST TO NERVOUS BECAUSE, IT WAS U. I KNOW HE PUTS ME ON A PEDASTAL HIS FRIENDS EVEN SAID SO. MAYBE, HE IS EMBARRESSED. I ACCEPT IT. I TOLD HIM I STILL WANT TO TO KEEP OUR FUN GOING ON. WHEN I GOT HOME IS WHEN HE SAID, HE WASN'T FEELING IT WITH ME AND NEVER WILL. BUT, THIS IS THE 3RD TIME HE HAS SAID THIS IN 6 MONTHS. WHEN THINGS GET SERIOUS HE RUNS. IS THAT NORMAL? DO U THINK HE MEANS TO RUN ME OFF? OR HE JUST GETS SCARED? MY FRIEND SAID, I LEFT AND HE COULDN'T DEAL WITH THAT. DO U AGREE? SHE ALSO SAID, IN 2 WEEKS HE WILL START ASKING WHEN YOUR COMING BACK IN OCTOBER. IT SEEMS WHENEVER I PULL AWAY IS WHEN HE WANTS ME TO COME. IS THAT NORMAL FOR THEM?

Yes, this is normal behavior for AS:

When things get serious he runs. Why? Because it's confusing. There are things he doesn't understand. Ask your friend about her son: when there's a situation that's confusing, the more personal it is, the harder it is for him, I bet.

She's probably right, by the way, about him starting to ask. But he's an individual, like all of us. When I first started working, I was full of theory and diagnoses. Then I saw how each of the AS people I was working with was a unique individual with his own personality and quirks, just like us. So I can't guarantee...but I would say your friend is right in her assessment if he's typical.

Don't be second guessing yourself so much or him. It will drive him crazy....(Hope that made you smile.)

All the best,

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I WILL ASK MY FRIEND ABOUT HER SON. I SEE THAT IN HIM WHEN THINGS GET DIFFICULT HE RUNS ABOUT HER SON, DO U THINK HE MEANT HE WAS GOING TO GET A GIRLFRIEND. SO WHEN I COME THERE NEXT MONTH WE ALL 3 CAN GO OUT. I SAID, NO THAT'S FINE I'LL WAIT UNTIL YOUR ALONE. DO U THINK HE MEANT THAT OR JUST HOPING I COME BACK LIKE I SAID I AM. Y SAY IT?

I think you should ask him. But ask in a curious, we're friends and I want to know kind of way. Or, if that would get him too alert and not trusting to ask, then you're going to have to find out. Like your friend says: go and see and you be the go to person for him and the rest will sort itself out. Because trying to guess is going to just increase your stress level.

You have to have some trust as well. If he doesn't warrant that trust, you'll find out. But don't be fearful. Be you who you want him to trust.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

WHEN HE SAID IT TO ME IS WHEN HE SAID, HE WASN'T FEELING IT WITH ME. HE SAID, HE NEVER WILL SO HE IS GOING TO GET A GIRLFRIEND. I JUST BLEW IT OFF. I FIGURED IT WOULD BE HARD FOR HIM TO GET A GIRL WHO UNDERSTANDS HIM. WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT THE SEX? I FEEL IT TOOK A LOT FOR HIM TO GO THERE WITH ME. THAT'S Y I KNOW HE REALLY CARES. HE WOULD NEVER GO TO BED WITH JUST ANYBODY. DO U THINK IF I KEEP MY PLAN AND PROMISES TO HIM HE WILL GET ON BOARD AND STAY ON BOARD.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I JUST RATED U AGAIN. PLEASE, ANSWER MY QUESTION. THANKS

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

R U STILL THERE?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I RATED U AGAIN, R U STILL THERE?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

DR MARK, R U STILL THERE?