TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Certified Professional Coach

I was in a relationship for 17 years. My girlfriend was always

I was in a relationship for 17 years. My girlfriend was always cold to me. Never showing me any affection. We are no longer together, but have 3 children together. Is there anyway to repair the relationship and wonder if she could ever make me happy
Hi and welcome. I am a Licensed Master Social Worker with more than 20 years experience working with individuals and families on a variety of issues.

Being in a relationship for that long without feeling that affection is a long time to wait for it. counseling didn't seem to change that for you, so my gut would say that it would be difficult to make this relationship feel satisfying for you. I can certainly understand you wanting to be connected to her as you have been a family and have 3 kids, but it really comes down to whether or not you can handle only receiving what doesn't feel like enough for you.

Was the relationship enough for her? Unless you are both willing to do more work together and in therapy, I am not sure that I see much changing in the way of you feeling like you are getting enough from her.